Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Photogenic

Some of my kids are VERY photogenic.  I could snap one shot and it would be great of them, whereas some of my other kids...it seems like it takes a few more shots to get a good one.

This afternoon the girls were playing together with make-up as I was taking pictures of my chair and I turned and snapped a few of the kids.  EVERY single picture of Ashley turned out SOOO cute and I decided that she is definitely photogenic!  Then I decided to study a little about it tonight and thought that I would share what I found.

A photography school said, "Don't consider "attractive" as the definition of whether someone is photogenic.  Rather the way one conveys a mood or expression or tells a story or a feeling by their physical demeanor gives more meaning to whether one is photogenic or not"  The author on this one went on further to describe how some people just tense up around cameras and can't relax and be natural.  With my Ashley, she definitely can convey a number of moods and expressions.  I don't think that she can keep the SAME expression for two pictures in a row!

Ash4

Ash0

"Many photogenic effects can be produced with light. Soft or warm light with long wavelengths is very flattering. This is produced naturally by the sun during the "golden hour." This is one hour after sunrise or one hour before sunset. Golden hour light makes skin appear soft and even. There are no harsh shadows emphasizing disproportionate features. A prominent brow, a large nose or an overbite can be exaggerated in harsh light."   It's true these few shots were shot about an hour before sunset.  I LOVE the lighting in my house during that time!

Ash8 Another interesting article I came across talked about how different lenses can create different effects on your subject.  "Camera lenses bend light in different ways depending on their design. Wide angle lenses spread images out so they can fit more into the frame. Telephoto lenses compress different focal lengths making things at different distances seem like they are right on top of each other. Taking a photograph of a face with a wide angle lens spreads it out and makes it look fat. Longer lenses used from further away make faces appear slimmer and more photogenic."  I think that whomever takes a picture of me needs to keep the longer lenses on their camera!

One thing that I DID NOT do in these pictures but have learned is to look down on your subject to photograph them.  Features are not flattering straight on compared to when they are looking up at you.  Even a slight height to look up at makes a huge difference.

Anyway, just wanted to share my photogenic Ashley and my facts about photogenics with you. 

Ash2_edited-2  Thanks for always being my go to model!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

What great tips! You have such a great eye for photography.

PS: Your date night idea was a hit with my hubby for Valentines Day! Thanks for sharing that idea...

...This is Summer's sis-in-law BTW! :)

Ryan M. Spillane said...

Ashley is so beautiful!! Sydney and I sure do miss Ash!

Mom said...

Oh-h-h-h, our Ash! She IS very photogenic because she is so expressive!

Julie Rivera said...

These are gorgeous! The lighting is superb and the exposure is right on. It's fun to come back and see how far you have come so quickly!

sharingheritage.com said...

She is Photogenic! And adorable! I was wondering whats your suggestion for a camera, I drool over all of the pictures you take!

Heather said...

Your pictures really turned out cute! Thanks for sharing all the photo tips. I love learning about photography.