Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alligator Farm

Down by my parents house there is a hot springs where this man decided to raise Tilapia Fish to sell.  They needed some way to dispose of the garbage and fish that die SO they got an alligator, AND now they have 300 alligators and crocodiles (mainly alligators)!  He has been doing this for 23 years now.

Crocs3

Crocs 

The sex of the offspring is determined by the temperature in the nest, and is fixed within 7 to 21 days of the start of incubation.

Crocs4

Another favorite part was the HUGE swings that they had by the parking lot.  You could go soooo high.  Kaylee went with Stephen once and was screaming to get off because they were going so high.  I LOVE the beautiful background of Mount Blanca in the back.

Crocs12

Kaylee wasn't only scared on the swings ... holding the baby alligator was a little terrifying for her as well.

Crocs2

They have tortoises crawling around the walk ways.  Jerrica was all eyes and LOVED touching their shells.

Crocs8_edited-1

Crocs9

My mom kept running her finger up the back of my leg scaring me that an alligator was out.  I'm just always a little nervous around them.  They look so slow and lazy, yet sure can move fast when they want to.

Alligators are born black, but the sun then bleaches their color.

Crocs29_edited-1

I HAVE to write all these little facts down because I know that I will soon forget them all.  Thanks for coming with us Mom!

Crocs10

We will see you in a while Mr. Crocodile ...

1 comment:

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

love the photos! we used to have a tortoise...best pet ever!!! miss that little guy...had to leave him in arizona...those girls are so brave to hold them!!!