Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Chair

I have a little retreat room off my master bedroom.  Since we moved into our house it has always been a handy little nursery.
Retreat_thumb[7] Retreat2_thumb[3]
Now, I'm able to turn it into a craft/sewing room.  I knew that I wanted to keep with my bedroom colors so that it flows when the door is open.  The wall that has the doorway is a deep brown, so I thought it would be fun to paint the room a dusty blue that matches my comforter in the bedroom.  Are you following all of this?!?

Also I wanted a chair for my kids and Stephen to be able to sit on as they come in to visit and I'm working on a project.  The original chair looked like this
Chair
I deepened the wood stain and changed out the fabric and batting.  It now looks like this when you look into the room.
Chair
I can't decide whether to put the arm rests on or not.  It has a long seat and makes a cute chaise chair, but maybe it looks a little naked without the arms.  What do you think?

I love the different art work and pictures that I'm decorating with.  I will have to do more pictures when I finish my little room.  I love how bright and cheery it is.  It has two big windows.  One is to the side with my garden, which I LOVE to look out at during the summer.  The other is of Pikes Peak.  It really is a nice view.

Here now is the next project to go in my little room. 
Desk2

I looked in furniture stores and Target and couldn't find nice REAL wood furniture.  Everything seems so cheap and they just don't have nice architecture features.  I always have to look back in time for furniture because that is what I like.  This little beauty was a steal off of Craigs List.  Look at the trim on the bottom.  The back is even beautiful
Desk
I feel like MOST furniture made today has the thin sheeting nailed to the back calling it good.  The other fun features are thin pull out table tops above the top drawers.  I think that is fun to have side work areas.  Then the bottom two drawers on one side is a built in file drawer.  I'm SOOO excited to do it and put it in the room.

I am so thrilled to be able to have everything in one room and to be able to have my sewing machine ALWAYS out and ready.

Any suggestions for my little craft room?  Should I add the arm rests to the chair?  Let me know what you think.

8 comments:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

You did a great job on the chair and I LOVE the desk. I'm excited to see finished pictures.
Love ya,
Kris

Raelyn said...

I love it...Looks great! WOuls love ot see pictures as you finish! LOVE love love the desk! Gorgeous lines! The chair looks great...Personally...I would put the arms on....great either way though!

Maria Babin said...

definitely put the arms on. your husband and kids will want to rest their arms when they come in to watch you craft away. can't wait to see that desk!

Anonymous said...

I love the finished chair! So cool! I like the chair without the arm rests, it looks more up to date without them! (with them it reminds me of my gma's old rocking chair)

And, it is so true about furniture today, they don't make good quality wood furniture anymore. We find the best furniture at garage sales or on craigslist! I love the color of your craft room too, very cheery!

Thanks for the email, I placed my order and will have it today!

Mom said...

Shauna, you did a great job on that chair! Is this the first overstuffed chair you have redone?

I do like your Craig's list desk..I love it's character, drawers, etc.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love a good project. The chair looks great!

Alesha

Kerry said...

I like the chair without the arms...more contemporary looking. However, for comfort...I agree having the arms on is better. The desk is a GREAT score. I love Craigslist! What color are you planning on painting the desk?

Ginny Clark said...

I love the chair WITHOUT the arms, very updated look.