Monday, January 25, 2010

Holy Ghost FHE

Yesterday I had to talk in church and can you guess what they asked me to speak on ... the Holy Ghost.  I really enjoyed preparing and learning from my talk. 

SO we had a FHE on the Holy Ghost tonight.  My parents were actually in town so that made it exciting to have them with us.  The object lesson part was fun.  To start I went around the room and whispered something in everyone's ear to do.  I had them each making a sound - my dad was clapping, Nathan went and turned on the Wii, Rebecca had to slam a door over and over, Kaylee and my mom started the stereo, Jacob had a TV blarring, Ashley had to pound a song on the piano, and then I had Stephen start a clip of President Monson speaking on the internet.  Of course the house was LOUD!  Jerrica was covering her ears and looking around like we were nuts.  I then had the kids listen and try to think with all the noise.  Then I had them one by one go and turn something off or stop someone from making the noise that they were doing.  Slowly the noises decreased.  And pretty soon it was VERY quiet and I asked them if they could still hear something.  Nathan quickly said, "I think there is still a TV on somewhere."  We all went to find it and talked about who it was and why we couldn't hear him.

I told them how hard it is to hear the Holy Ghost when there is so much commotion around us.  We talked of the importance of quiet time to yourself to ponder and think.  I then shared the verse in 2 Ne 33:1  It states that the Holy Ghost carries the message UNTO and not necessarily INTO our hearts.  We HAVE to be open to receive his guidance.  I then closed with this poem from the Friend that I love because of the rhyming and message.

LaFond Hall, “The Holy Ghost Speaks Softly,” Friend, Jul 1997
The Holy Ghost speaks softly.
He never shouts, you’ll find.
Instead, He whispers gently
An idea in your mind.

When you’re deciding something
And aren’t sure what to do,
Just listen hard within your heart—
His voice will come to you!

It may be He’ll remind you
Of something Mother said.
Perhaps a verse of scripture
Will pop into your head.

Sometimes you’ll get the feeling
That tells you it’s OK—
Or one that lets you know it’s wrong,
That you should turn away.

And if you want this gift to use,
Each morning when you pray,
Ask Heavenly Father to help you
To listen through the day—

To listen to the promptings
That softly come to you
To bless and help and guide you
In everything you do.


It was a special night.  We felt the spirit and learned together.  I LOVE nights like these!

8 comments:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I LOVE your object lesson!!

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

ah....family home evening lesson for next week...check :)i accomplish so much by reading your blog :)

Unknown said...

I am so happy to find your blog. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas. You children are adorable. It is reassuring to know there are other families out there stiving to do as the prophets have told us. Thanks for this great family home evening idea. Sounds like my two year olds kind of lesson. He will enjoy telling all of us what noise to make.

lanisue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lanisue said...

Awesome talk Shauna and neat lesson.

sharingheritage.com said...

How Cute! I'm going to use this, Thanks for sharing!

T.Irwin said...

nice lesson. Sounds like it went exactly as it was meant to go.

Jessica Stier said...

Wow! You're such a good mom. I need to seriously take mom lessons from you. You teach such awesome FHE lessons and you seem to have so much patience. I currently only have half the amount of kids you do and I'm overwhelmed. I'm wondering how I'm going to be able to handle things after my 4th baby arrives. I guess it probably takes a lot of prayer and scripture study.

Anyway. You amaze me.

Jessica
www.MomShots.com