Friday, January 15, 2010

Buffalo Eye Dissection

I went in and volunteered in Kaylee's class to dissect a buffalo eye.  Can I just say that I have done a few of these dissections and have never seen such amazing specimens that you could actually find and see all the parts.  Buffalo eyes are BIG!

The girls first looked like this

Eye3

And then they couldn't stop touching it!  I love the touching and hands on because that is how you learn.

Eye

We found the optic nerve, muscles, the fat that supports the eye, the cornea, lens, aqueous fluid, but our favorite part was the beautiful blue/green retina.

Eye2

There was an optic surgeon there that explained all about the parts of the eye.  He explained how the cornea acts like a windshield in protecting our eye.  He also told us that the eye is a pocket of the brain because of the incredible amounts of information that it can process.

My favorite part of the day was finding out where they got the buffalo eyes.  They were bought right here in the Springs for a dollar a piece, and have them ready for pick up every Friday.  Nathan keeps crying to me that we do too many art projects and not enough science, SOOO I think I have my next science project for them to do.  My poor boys did sheep eyes when they were in third grade.  They are NOT big enough to see all the amazing parts that work together.  I have always loved and been in awe at how the body and organs all work!

5 comments:

T.Irwin said...

LOL! I loved my biology classes because I loved learning about the body. I was called the "surgeon" in my sophomore year because I was the one to do the cutting.
Great pictures.

Becki Madsen said...

That would be so neat to see! Great pictures as always Shauna!

Anna Linnea said...

Seriously! I can't believe you can buy those for A dollar a piece. Caleb is dying to get his hands on a buffalo eye now, but I don't know if I'm brave enough!

Tanya said...

That was a bit gross! Those pictures brought back too many "fun" memories of animal anatomy at BYU. Anyhow, I can't believe that 3rd graders are disecting. I didn't first do that until high school!

No Longer 25 said...

That is so cool, I never knew the colours were so striking. I agree that hands on is really how you learn. I remember doing this and also a sheeps lungs and then a rat it was a bit gross but really interesting at the same time!
Jade