Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Back to School FHE

***I couldn't keep up with the emails and comments too well.  SOOO when Melanie said that she would post it on Sugardoodle.  I was thrilled!  Here is the link to get the lesson downloaded.  HERE is the LESSON

**I emailed the lesson to those of you asking.  If you didn't get it, email me again, I might have missed someone.  Sorry but I don't know how to link the lesson on my blog, to somewhere for download SO that's why I email it. 

I have had some people ask about Back to School traditions.  I usually take each of the kids on a back to school shopping date.  It's soooo much easier concentrating on ONE list and ONE kid at a time.  We then go for a treat or lunch.

Another tradition is this FHE.  We have been doing it for quite a few years now.  HERE is where I talked about it last year.  There is a huge social aspect involved in school.  This lesson helps open eyes to others.  I took the "Civility" lesson from the Stand for Something FHE lessons and turned it into more of a Back to School lesson.

Back to School FHE

You take a few balloons and assign people to each of them.  Inside each balloon is a note of what the person is REALLY like and then outside is a note that gives a few general characteristics.  You have to "Pop" the balloon to really get to know the person.  For example the outside note for Juan says, "Juan speaks fluent Spanish and is learning English.  He is a very quiet boy and other kids don't ask him to play.  Juan struggles with his schoolwork.  It doesn't come easy for him"  Then the note inside the balloon says, "Juan is a child of God and loved very much by Him.  Juan is extremely athletic and good at soccer.  He LOVES to play games.  Juan is very kind and considerate of others feelings.  If given a chance Juan could share interesting stories and games from Mexico."  We then discuss whether we would like to get to know Juan and all the things we could learn from him.

I think it would be fun sometime to let the kids design THEIR own balloons of what they display on the outside and how they view themselves on the inside.

Anyway, we have to "pop" through the exterior of a person in get to know the inside.  To do this you have to ask questions and then LISTEN to what they have to say.  Here is the lesson I put together -

Back to School FHE-001 copy 

I challenge them to meet new people and find out about them.  The first two days of school we give the kids a quarter for each name that they bring home.  They have to tell us one character trait or interesting fact about the person as well.  It's fun to sit at dinner listening to all the names.  I just think that it is important for them to talk and socialize with others instead of JUST their friends.

Anyway, if you want a copy of our people we use on the balloons with their descriptions OR the quotes for the Spin the Bottle just comment or email me and I can forward it to you.  You obviously can just draw your own face on the balloon (I have done that in the past) and make up your own descriptions to fit your own hobbies and things you enjoy.

Do any of you have any fun Back to School traditions?

40 comments:

Dana said...

What a great FHE lesson! I really like it and think it is a great reminder for all of us. Thanks so much for sharing! Where do you get such wonderful ideas? Thanks again!

Teachinfourth said...

Such a great idea to do with your family.

Traditions? Usually it encompasses something like crying myself to sleep and punching my pillow.

The Hutton Family said...

I love this idea! Can I please have your FHE lesson on this? hcrystal82@aol.com

Alison said...

I have to tell you I love your blog and all your fun ideas! Thank you so much for everything you share. I love this idea and would love a copy of your people and the quotes for spin the bottle. We actually just moved and so I'm praying my kids will be happy and love their new school, and I think this will be great to get them thinking outside themselves and looking to meet others and make new friends. I love the quarter for each new name they bring home. Thanks again for everything! You have a darling family.

My email is ali.robinson762gmail.com

Alison said...

oops, I had a typo in my email...

it's ali.robinson76@gmail.com

Thanks! :)

Lisa-Marie said...

What a super idea! I just love it and will be using it soon. I'd love a copy of what you have created. I'm all about using what's already created! No need to do it again! lisamariejensen at gmail dot com

THANK YOU!

We are going to start a new tradition this year of having a nice dinner the night before school starts and creating a family motto for the year. We always do a last day of school party with friends and I think we might have a first day party as well. We'll see. Sometimes I have great PLANS!

Maleen said...

I love traditions but I don't have many around going back to school yet. This lesson sounds great and I would love to try it out. Thanks for all your great ideas and photography.

caziertm@comcast.net

Dana said...

p.s. I would love a copy of it all : ) danarburnett@yahoo.com
Thanks again!

gmckibbe said...

What a great idea for fhe! I would love a copy of the quotes also! Thanks for sharing your fabulous ideas--I love your blog and all your great ideas--I check it often and have used a few of your ideas. My email address is katecamille@comcast.net. Thanks!!!

Miriam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miriam said...

Would love copies! Thanks so much!
miriam_franson@yahoo.com

Jeppson Clan said...

Thanks for being willing to share all your great ideas!
I would love all the copies!
Thank you thank you!
~Jamey in Kansas City

jameyjeppson@gmail.com

Rachel said...

What a great idea! Could you email me the people & quotes for spin the bottle? I love to see the fun things that you do with your kids. It gives me motivation and ideas of things to do with mine. Thank you.

rachwood@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I love this idea. Please email me the stuff. jandjsmall@gmail.com

Kat said...

What a great FHE lesson! We have already gone back to school but it's never too late to learn such a valuable lesson :) I would love a copy too please! Thanks!

reichlekat@yahoo.com

angela said...

Thanks for posting this. We are very excited to do it on Monday since we start next Wednesday. I'd love the attachments. Thanks again for sharing your ideas with us!
akrate@gmail.com

The Evans Family said...

You always have such fun ideas, thanks for sharing! I always enjoy checking out your blog. I love this FHE and would love a copy of it. Thanks!
adilee@canby.com

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

What a great activity! We have spa night at home the night before school. We lock ourselves in the bathroom and do facials, pedis/manis, and just have some good ole fashioned girl talk. I also make fancy little sandwiches and we drink oj out of wine glasses.

Kori said...

Love your ideas. I would totally love a copy of everything.

Thanks!

terryandkori@earthlink.net

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. May I please have a copy too? Thanks!

djfam@gmx.com

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love it...can I have a copy please. My kids would love it. brook111@hotmail.com

Family Fun said...

I just love your ideas!!! Can I please have this e-mailed to me as well. I would love to do this for our FHE.
Thanks!
Ginger
rosesv@hotmail.com

Janessa said...

That is such a wonderful idea! I would love a copy of the lesson when you get a chance to send it. Thanks so much! janessacazier@msn.com

vicky said...

LOVE IT! What a great idea! Can you send me your FHE info? I have learned so much from your blog. Thank you! vickyamdal@yahoo.com

Heather said...

Would you mind emailing your lesson to me? I LOVE this idea. Thank you so much!

Carol said...

I love your blog, and I have used several of your past FHE lessons. They really are wonderful. I would love a copy of the FHE lesson if you are sending it out again. Thanks!
cvanshaar@yahoo.com

Heidi said...

I would LOVE an email of the lesson too! Thanks so much!!
kbk92f[at]aol[dot]com

Double A Family said...

Thanks for such a great blog!! I would love a copy of this for FHE! We have used so many of your ideas! Thanks! Our e-mail: danaamodt@msn.com
Michelle

monstermama said...

what a great lesson. I teach upper elementary special ed students and this would be a great lesson for them. Please email me a copy as well! thanks! Tracy
harvey31707@hotmail.com

Jamica said...

I remember having this FHE in your old house! We had just moved here and you invited us over. We also made homemade ice cream and I remember thinking "I think want to be her!" And now that I've known you for six years I think "I KNOW I want to be her!" Will you send me this FHE file?
Seriously, can I have you over for lunch once the kids are back in school (mine go back the 18th) I will call you so start thinking of a 'lesson plan' for how-to-help-Jamica-be more-Shaunaish. Thanks.

Robyn said...

I would love a copy of this FHE! I love your blog and have used many of your ideas! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us!

My email is: crfrost6227@msn.com

Robyn said...

Oops...just saw that it's on Sugardoodle! Congratulations!!

Shelly said...

I would love a copy of this lesson. What a great way to start the school year.

sa_mcfadden@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the time you put into this and to have you share it is wonderful. Can I please get a copy of everything for this lesson?

millerkat4@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Kat

jodi said...

Great lesson! Could I get a copy of it? Thanks so much!!!
anjsolt@cut.net

Brittany said...

I love this!! Can I have a copy to do for this Monday?

Ginger said...

What a great lesson. Can I get a copy of your people and quotes? cant wait to do this with the kids. Thank you!
Gingersnappea@hotmail.com

Anette said...

I would love to have a copy as well. My email is ashanks@royred.org

Karlene said...

awesome lesson!! would love a copy please
karlene87@hotmail.com

Joylyn said...

I know you did this a long time ago but do you still happen to have the lesson you did? When I clicked on the Sugardoodle link it doesn't go to the lesson. Thanks you. Kinniejoy@gmail.com