Saturday, August 7, 2010

A VERY Physical Date

Usually when Stephen and I go on a date, it's to the movies or out to eat.  We basically kick back and relax.  This morning's date was not that way.  First off we woke up really early, which I don't enjoy because I stay up so late.  Second off it TOTALLY exhausted me!

We did the Incline in Manitou.

Incline

Oh my goodness, it's a workout for sure!  The base of the incline is 6,530ft and the top is 8,550ft.  That is 2,000 ft of climbing stair after stair.  It is almost a mile of stairs and then a few miles down a switch back trail on the side. 

I kept thinking about how similar life is to the incline.  So indulge me for a moment ... We climb what we can, pause for breaks and rest when needed, and then climb some more.  Some are busy trying to get to the top as fast as they can.  Others go slower taking in the beautiful views below and the nature around them.  You meet people as you climb, but of course you stay near those you love.  Some fall as they run, but they hop back up and keep going.  Sure they hurt, just like life's trials do, but they just keep going. You can't really sit in your hurt forever, everybody has to get up sometime.  Also, there was a little crew working on parts of the trail.  I was amazed and filled with gratitude that people took the time to build the trail for others.  They made it easier for us.  I know ancestors have helped build the trail for me making it easier. One last similarity of life is that you have to do it yourself.  Another can't slip into your body and do it for you.  You physically have to drag that body along and do it.

ANYWAY, it was a fun date.  I'm glad we did it together.  Thanks for encouraging me along Stever!

4 comments:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

You two are so cute!! I love the picture!

tren said...

What a beautiful picture! BUT, that sounds like torture to me :0)

Teachinfourth said...

I love the analogy which went along with your experience/photo. It really tends to make one wonder if they are so intent on the destination that they fail to enjoy the journey along the way...

Pam said...

Wow! Now that's a hike!!! What a fun date and love your analogy too. I think I would have had to pitch a tent once at the top and then hike back down the next day, lol.