Thursday, July 1, 2010

Science Afternoon

We had a blast with this!  I was telling one of my sisters that I think its the "No Screen Days" that make my kids do these projects with me.  They really don't have anything else to do so they actually sit there and learn about acids and bases and LOTS of other fun science stuff.


I have always LOVED this site that is filled with experiments.  I picked a couple of favorite experiments.  Mixed in the bouncy ball idea from The Idea Room with a box of science experiments that Aunt Alesha had sent us and it was a scientific afternoon!
Sci6
Mentos and Coke are always a big and fun reaction.  Steve works here from home and we made him come up and do it.  I'm glad too because he was covered with Diet Coke when it was all said and done.  He probably wasn't too glad, but better one person than six sticky kids.
Sci5
The balls were fun to do but took a little bit to figure out what the right size was to make them work.  We happened to pick up tie dye balloons which made the colors fun.  I noticed the kids are STILL bouncing and playing with the bouncy balls they made.
Ball5_edited-1
 Ball4_edited-1
Ball1_edited-1
Ball3_edited-1
Ball2_edited-1  
Then we worked on the kit.  I would let one at a time sit in the experiment seat and then have another kid read the instructions one at a time.  Some of them were really cool.
Sci
 Sci13  Sci12
Sci2
Sci11
Sci3
Sci4
Science experiments are always fun and then to be able to explain why it works the way it does makes it a learning experience.  We were going to end on this ...
image
BUT, I had a little photo shoot that I had to run and do so we had to save it for another day.

2 comments:

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

we need to do this ice cream over here...what type of can does it need to be exactly?? i don't recall having a CAN that would stay closed :)

Teachinfourth said...

I love your photos on this post. The expressions you captured were priceless.

How hard was it to make the bouncy balls? That sounds like a fun thing to do with my 5th graders...