Monday, July 12, 2010

Auto

Someone asked me what the real difference is between shooting in auto versus manual.  And this is what I think ...

When you pick up your camera to take a picture the camera is "asleep".  It has no idea if you are taking a portrait shot and need a blurred background OR if you need to catch all the motion in a fast action shot OR what you want in focus versus not in focus.  It has no idea how much light you are wanting in the camera or in other words how bright YOU really want the picture.  The camera basically has to "guess" what you want.  And to me, no one really knows exactly what I want.

Sooo, that's why I like manual.  BECAUSE I'm in charge of what I am trying to achieve in the picture!
I do use auto though when I'm having a difficult time getting my settings.  I shoot a picture on auto and then use it for the data.  Then I can adjust my manual settings with an idea of what auto would be using.

8
Then I have people ask what settings I use.  That is just an impossible question to answer.  Every picture is different, lighting is different and what I want to achieve is different.  Then each lense that I put on my camera is different and requires different settings.

I do however have a system.  I first set my ISO and try to keep it as low as I can get away with.  If I'm serious about the photo, I adjust the white balance.  Then if it's an action shot I adjust my shutter speed next OR if I'm doing a still picture I adjust the aperature next.  I then look through my viewfinder and adjust the exposure wheel until I have it almost to zero with my secondary setting that I didn't make my priority setting.  Then you can take a look at your exposure to see what you are getting with YOUR settings.  If you like them you will say, YEAHHHH ... and snap a way.

7
My favorite lense that is always on my camera is the 50mm 1.4  I LOVE it and try to use it all the time.  I do have my eye on a couple of other lenses, too bad my birthday isn't around the corner.  I have a Nikon D60.  LOVE it, BUT my eye is wandering to this
Nikon D700 12.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
YET Stephen's wallet is NOT wandering on over to it.

AND let me be first to say that I'm constantly learning and trying to become a better photographer and by no means am trying to act like I know what I'm doing.  I'm just trying to answer common questions that I have been getting in emails and comments.

7 comments:

Lillian J. Banks said...

Thank you so much! You are a fantastic photographer, and I appreciate you sharing your style. It is clear I have a long way to go :) The camping trip looked awesome. Have a great day.
rebecca

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my question. I think you are an amazing photographer and appreciate you sharing.

Jess Litster said...

I LOVE your photography! Thank you for sharing! It helps gives me ideas on how to capture my own kiddos in a photo! :)

Red said...

Shauna, I really love your tips! I recently got a camera, and I have been trying to take more manual pictures, but my kids are so impatient. It takes me forever to adjust everything, and by the time I get it, my kids have lost interest. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Life Is Golden said...

We shoot the exact same way... funny...
any news on that class?
I would love to go with you.
It was so fun to see you and your family at the Probst fireworks.

Regan
(in case you had no idea who this was)

T.Irwin said...

you are cute. I love using manual. Rarely do I use Auto. In fact this is always my advise when people ask me about my pictures.

I also tell them to experiment with some of the predetermined settings (i.e. protrait, macro, etc). Mosly, I like to make the choice, so I feel you on this one.

You make me laugh. The D700 would be very nice, indeed. I love my D90. I'm still learning the lenses and what I can do with the various lenses.

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope to at some point get to where you are!