Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pioneer FHE

We had the Wright's over for FHE last night.  They have seven kids that pretty much match up to my kids' ages.  We started out with dinner.  Then we each acted out a pioneer story with costumes and props.  When we practiced earlier in the afternoon I didn't think that my kids were going to make it through without laughing.

FHE4

Then we played water balloon volleyball with sheets.  It was the Wright's against the Thompson's.

FHE2

Next came dessert AND since I had to email this recipe tonight, I thought that I would post it here as well to save in my little recipe collection.  It is a yummy summer dessert.  Isn't it funny how some desserts are perfect for Summer and others more fit for Winter or Fall.

Eclair Dessert

My favorite quote of the night that we talked about was this one from Francis Webster.  He was in a room where there was considerable criticism of the handcart company and how late in the season they started their trek.  Francis Webster stood up and said,

"Was it a mistake to send the handcart company out so late in the season?  Yes.  But my wife and I were in that company.  We suffered beyond anything you can imagine, and many died of exposure and starvation, but did you ever hear a survivor of the company utter a word of criticism?  Not one of that company ever apostatized or left the Church because every one of us came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives, for we became acquainted with him in our extremities.  Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart?  No.  Neither then nor any minute of my life since.  The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful."   (quote from the book "The Price We Paid" by Olsen)

It was the perfect night to lead into our pioneer week!

 

1 comment:

T.Irwin said...

Love it! What a fantastic idea.