Sunday, July 25, 2010

Notes

I have two sisters that have both lost babies shortly after they were born.  I will never forget both of the heart wrenching mother cries at the gravesides. I will also never forget a note written the night before one of the funerals.  My sisters and I were in talking about the last minute details of my nephew's funeral when my niece came into the room with a note that she had written.  She proceeded to ask my sister if she could put her note into Daxston's casket so that he could take it to her brother who was already in heaven.  Of course the flood of tears ensued and Alesha promised her that she would stick it in.

I have thought about that note over the years.  Sure my niece was young when she wrote it, but the writing of it was healing to her.  She was writing it to her brother with a surety that he would receive it.  I love how notes do so much for the writer AND the reader.

When I write little love notes to Stephen I realize how much I do love that man.  And of course as he reads it he can feel of my love.  Even as I'm writing thank you cards, I'm filled with gratitude of the service or gift that was rendered.  I love to write notes to my kids and leave them on their beds to find and read.  Sometimes it's easier to write than speak.  AND Sometimes people don't want to listen to your voice, but WILL read your words.

Note

I also like the fact that a note can be kept.  I have quite a few little framed notes around the house that I am SOOO glad I framed.  Stephen gave me this sweet note AS a framed gift.  Giving it was right up his alley because it was "free".  I, on the receiving end LOVED it.  I just saw it today sitting there and was filled with thoughts of Stephen who is in Texas right now.  (I'm glad he will be home tonight!)  I love how notes can fill you with thoughts and emotions.  I love filling up Stephen's suitcase with notes to remind him that we love him back home. 

I enjoy going back and reading letters and notes that I have saved from different people.  Notes last over time when spoken words are sometimes forgotten.

I feel like we live in a day and age where notes are not very common.  We have email and facebook to send our messages.  But the problem is that those messages aren't usually kept.  When Stephen was traveling to Singapore we emailed A LOT and do I have a single one of those sweet emails?  NO!  I would just delete them from my inbox.  It makes me sad that I didn't save any of them.

Anyway, I LOVE notes!  I think they are very important to send and to receive.  I know that I enjoy getting them!  Well, I'm off to write a note or two ...

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm with you...notes are very powerful. Thanks for sharing that tender story, and for the reminder to stay connected.

Tiffany said...

P.S. I'm glad he's almost home. I am sure the past few days have been VERY long for you. I would send you some chocolate if I didn't think it would be a big goopy mess by the time it reached you ;) {{{hugs}}}

Stephen said...

Shauna I Love you!!! How's that for a note!! Love Stever!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I think that is the very FIRST comment you have ever left on my blog!!!

I love you too!!!

Rebecca Clerc said...

You know what I love, is that he reads your blog. My husband prefers to wait for the printed book. :)

Janessa said...

Thanks for the reminder. I do better at times then others about writing notes. They are such sweet and personal treasures. I'll have to go write some notes today.