Thursday, May 6, 2010

Word Wall Art

Do you ever decorate a kids' room and then the decor stays and stays and stays...?  Well, the other day Kaylee asked if I could put a different picture up in her room instead of the framed fish art picture that she had made in Kindergarten.  She proceeded by asking if her room could be more "Tween" like.  I wanted to scream NOOOO because I want her to stay little forever.
Well, Target has this Wall art right now.
target_wall_art
And I found THIS BLOG that had done a version in Photoshop for her daughter.  She has a download for hers.  I took it and tweaked it a little.  It didn't take long at all because she had a good base.  I just added a little color to the smiley face, took off a couple things, and added a few other graphics to personalize it more to Kaylee's sayings that she says and activities that she enjoys like piano and sports.
Wall Art
The canvas was on sale for $3 and I printed the picture at Costco as an 11x14 for $3.  So it was a $6 project instead of Target's $40, plus ours was personalized somewhat.  I did the same process with modge podge that I did for my Subway sign.
My Sign2
I loved how the canvas turned out ...
Wal Art2
BUT it was too small for me in that space.  So I ran down to the garage grabbed some scrap wood sheeting, painted it purple and nailed the thin wood sheeting behind the canvas to make it feel bigger.  I also LOVE how the dark purple brings out the dark purple in her room that are on her shelf, dresser and the furry dark purple throw pillows on her bed.  Trust me it actually pulls the room together, so it was good that I had to add it in the end.
Wal Art3
And that was my little project to "Tween" Kaylee's room up a little.

5 comments:

Johnnie said...

I just saw this at Target. Didn't even think of doing my own. That is a great idea. I like your version even better. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

Shauna, I love this!! It turned out really cute.

Lorie said...

It turned out great, and I love the way it looks with the 'frame'!

marie said...

That is sooo cute! Love all the bright colors and love the dark purple you added behind it. :)

Tia Hopper said...

I really like your subway sign you made for your family. I'm thinking of making one also. You don't by chance have the file still that I could steal, do you? :) I can make one also but thought it would save some time to ask. Both signs are great!~Tia