Thursday, May 13, 2010

The 5 P's

5 P's of Parenthood:
1. Priorities. (remember God and Family First)
2. Positivity. (it goes a LONG way)
3. Persistence. (the only way to raise a child.)
4. Pondering. (a MUST if you are to grow as a mother.)
5. Patience. (its hard to have, but a virtue as a parent.)
A friend recently sent me this list of the 5 P's of Parenthood. I LOVED it! 
Jerrica Smile_edited-3
Each is so important but the "Positivity" one caught my eye.  Isn't that so important with kids to always be positive.  I see it when I teach piano lessons and start out complimenting some aspect of the song, they beam ear to ear and think that they are a young Mozart.  However, if I start out reaming them for all that wasn't correct you can see their face fall and countenance change.  Their confidence will fall and the other songs will not be played as well as they could be.
You can see this in sports as well.  I have seen parents ream their child and then watch as the child plays hesitant and without confidence.  I think it's scary if you are worried about every move you make because you know your dad is their on the sideline ready to jump on you.  Then you see those parents shouting out assurance, "That's OK, you're alright!"  those kids can shake it off and keep playing strong.
Tonight at dinner we all clapped and praised Jerrica about something going on in her little life.  I wish you could've seen her face.  It was filled with pure joy!
Now believe me there are plenty of times when I am grappling to try and find something positive to praise, but there is ALWAYS some aspect to be positive about. 
Jake_edited-2
And you know what, I don't think it's just the kids that need the praise.  I sure love to hear, "Mom this dinner is delicious!" .... and many other mom like praises.
Praise someone today and just watch their expression.

1 comment:

marie said...

Sometimes it's hard to be the positive force in the family, but in the role of a mother it makes such a HUGE impact on the dynamics of the family. You've inspired me to be more positive today. :)