Friday, April 16, 2010

The Use of Words

I LOVED my communication classes in college and I still enjoy watching and learning from someone who KNOWS the art of communication.  The use of just a few simple words can make such a difference.  Take this example -

----Christmas parties are winding up and two different teachers are trying to get their classrooms under control.  I was walking in between my kids' classes and this is what the fifth grade teacher sounded like, "You guys start picking up" - no one is really listening, the room is a disaster.  "Everyone start cleaning up our room".  It just felt like chaos.  I then venture into the fourth grade room and this is what their teacher sounded like, "Let's get our room cleaned up, and then we can listen to one last Christmas story.  Nathan can you and Olivia clean off the boards, ...  Then she proceeds to walk around commenting to the kids, "Nathan and Olivia, you two sure work well together ... Jackson you sure are a quick sorter ... Madison you can always find EVERY last piece of trash on the floor..."  I then go back into the fifth grade room.  It is STILL trashed the kids are out of control and nothing is really getting done as the teacher keeps nagging them to clean up.  I do one last check in the fourth grade room and it is totally organized with everyone sitting around listening to a Christmas story.

This scenario happened over a year ago and I have reflected back to it many times and have used Ms. Schmuttermair's skills here in our home.  I try to be specific about the tasks needing done, instead of just 'everyone clean'.  I then try hard to compliment those working on jobs together, telling them how well they work together.  I also try commenting on how well they are doing their chores.  Rebecca wasn't an immaculate sweeper, UNTIL I started telling her that she was one of my best.  Then all of a sudden I noticed the care she takes in getting ALL the crumbs and dirt.  She will always say to me as she sweeps, "Why do you think I'm such an awesome sweeper Mom?..."  because she is looking for the praise and compliments once again.

I just LOVE the use of a few words complimenting on a job well done, they make such a HUGE difference!  The work gets done, we are positive, AND we have time to do OTHER things besides clean!

5 comments:

lindsy said...

Thank you for this reminder. I just found your blog from a friend of mine and I love it! I graduated in elementary education and my husband and I now have 3 kids of our own so this really hits home. How true =) Thank you for all of your fun ideas. You're an amazing mom!

T.Irwin said...

WOW! what a great example! I will definately remember to use it in my classes, because, believe it or not, adults need the same reassurance.

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

so true! something we're always working on around here :) better communication!

Jody said...

love your blog and I check it daily. I'm a teacher and recently have taken over a classroom of 24 kindergarteners. Everyday there is one time that I do not look forward to. Can you guess what time? Yep, free choice time. However, I know how important it is for those little ones. When it comes to cleaning up, well they are horrible at it. I have asked other teachers in the district for some hints and also prayed about it for several days. No, little hints...well not until I checked your blog this morning. Why didn't I think of positive reinforcement? I go around and help them clean, but I forget to praise them. I can't wait to implement this on Monday. Thank you for your posting!

Valerie said...

Ohhh... I love that idea of pointing out the good instead of shrilling out orders! Thanks for the tip!

--summer's sis in law, again.. :