Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring Decorating

I should be Spring cleaning, BUT  have been Spring decorating instead!  Last night as I was waiting for Jacob to finish his art class I noticed the flowers were on sale and I have been dying to do an arrangement.  I LOVED the colors that Becki Higgins had used in her latest arrangements HERE and wanted to give orange and turquoise a try.  Those two colors are so bright and fun for Spring.

Then later last night as the boys were at scouts, Kaylee at achievement days, and the little girls were asleep - Rebecca and I started our project.  I loved working with her and her sweet little conversation.  I had picked up a nest stem and hoped to round up a bird at home.  Miss Rebecca dashed to her treasure box and came up with three little plastic eggs that I had her paint blue along with a frame.  I was sooo excited that she had these.  They brought in the turquoise that I needed.  After sticking in flowers here and there, we ended up making a late night run to Michaels in our PJ pants for Spanish Moss and a few more flowers!  Here is our master piece-

Mother3 
I asked the kids this morning if they liked the flowers to which Nathan said, "NO!"  I was curious why such an adamant answer, then he told me that he didn't like his Easter picture being taken down.  You gotta love the photo wall attention.  My picture should go up along with these grandma pictures for Mother's Day, but I can't bring myself to put ME on the wall!
Mother_edited-1
I need to do a little more tweaking, but I'm liking it.  I put the old glass door knob from Grandma Jackie's by her picture.  I loved pulling that knob knowing that I was walking into Grandma's house, just looking at it I get all nostalgic.

I love little treasures like this that are filled with memories.  I remember visiting a lady once who has such an incredible sense of decorating.  I was always puzzled by a plastic sword she kept on her perfectly decorated bookcases.  The first time I saw it I thought a grandchild had left it there.  Then on another occasion as we were visiting she related the story of when her toddler son had drown in their swimming pool.  She ran out and saw the neighbor boy in the pool and started CPR on him and then saw her own son in the pool as well.  Her son passed away.  His favorite toy during those toddler years was his plastic sword, which she proudly displays amongst her decor.

I love all the memories and treasures stowed here and there in my house.  They don't really mean anything to those looking at them, but to me they are priceless.  Anyway got off on a tangent, but had to share my Spring arrangement I wish the photos did it justice. 

4 comments:

The Thompson Family said...

Very inspiring! Great job.

jenifer said...

love it. i need to find a wall for a seasonal spot. what a great idea... and, love the door knobs. love them.

T.Irwin said...

The color combination is really great. I have a coworker who has a cubicle decorated in orange and turquoise.

Nice decor. My fall cleaning is now part of the spring cleaning. What I really need is to organize better.

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I love your spring arrangement! You amaze me!!