Friday, April 16, 2010

Expressions

I love capturing natural expressions on faces in photos.  This can be hard because the cheesy smiles usually come out when the camera comes out.  I have found that if I am talking as I'm snapping pictures I can get more natural expressions.  So I usually sit there chatting behind my camera, trying to be witty.  I just continuously shoot as I'm talking and can find a couple that are the natural expressions of the person I'm shooting.

Here is one that I snapped as we were walking out the door yesterday to go shopping.  I just couldn't resist taking it, she looked so cute with her jean bead purse and was trying to act so big.

Jerra36
She stood by the wall and I talked with her about what she wanted to buy, what was in her purse, if I could have her purse ... To which I got this fun look which said  -You are NOT going to get my purse from me!

So my tip of the day is to not be so quick to tell your subject to say, "cheese".  Instead TALK with them about anything and everything.  You get so many true expressions!

7 comments:

michelle's 10 things said...

Hi. I have enjoyed your blog and fun ideas. I posted one of your recipes (credited;) on my blog. Thank-you.
(http://michelles10things.blogspot.com)

T.Irwin said...

this picture is a prime example of the facial expressions you capture. I love the shot.

Rebecca Clerc said...

I can barely stand how stinkin cute my two yr olds cheeser grin is, so I tell him to say cheese all the time, but other than him, I agree, natural looks best.

Unknown said...

I was introduced to your blog by my aunt (michelle's 10 things). I love you blog, the ideas, crafts, etc. Love this post today. My kids and my husband get so annoyed when I take out my camera (I am a smile and say cheese while you are looking at the camera). I am going to apply this, and hopefully I will stop getting all those rolled eyes. Thanks so much!

Maria Babin said...

did you make that jean purse??? if you did, i begging you for a tutorial ;)

Jill said...

This is a very cute picture of your little one. One question I have for you is, do you make sure to take photos like this one against a blank wall, or do you photoshop the blankness behind your subject? I love how crisp and clean all your photos are. I love the idea of a "photo of the month" you suggested in an earlier post. I'm going to have to implement that! Thanks for allowing us to sneak a peak into your life:) Oh, and happy birthday last week!

Cook Family said...

Please forgive me if you've mentioned this before, but your photos have such great color and sharpness. What settings do you use indoors and out? Are you using a flash indoors?