Friday, April 30, 2010

Newsprint Table

Do you know what this is?
Newsprint2
Of course you do because you read the title of this post.  It is a roll of newsprint.  We bought it for about $10 when the boys were little from our local newspaper office and as you can see we still have TONS left.  I LOVE this paper because we can use it for so many things like welcome home banners, or filler in boxes we are mailing, or to lay down for messy craft projects or for table coverings at meals. 

Ashley wanted a project so I rolled it out onto the table to have her decorate it for dinner.
Newsprint
In years past I would haul out the big roll and let the kids go to town decorating as I would make dinner.  It would entertain them and then entertain us as we looked at the artwork while we ate.  Today Ashley asked if I would make some pictures with her.  I thought that it would be fun to personalize each place setting and then fill in with games.
Newsprint3
I had little doodling games like -
  • Tic Tac Toe
  • Mad Libs
  • Finish the Face, Monster, Flowers in the Vase
  • Family Thumb War Ring with place to write the winners
  • Word Game Ideas
  • Finish the Sentence
The possibilities are endless.  When each family member came to dinner they commented on my notes to them and then proceeded to make a few of their own notes and doodles.  Nathan made us play hang man and Jacob drew an incredible monster.  Ashley LOVED showing off her afternoon drawings.  It was really a lot of fun!

The best part was that the newsprint kept my table clean from the dinner mess!

9 comments:

T.Irwin said...

I love this last activity for dinner. How did the games go? I'm sure it was a blast!

I didn't know you could buy this huge roll at the Newspaper...great idea!

The Dixons said...

How fun! I love your website and your ideas!

Ilene said...

You have the coolest ideas on your blog. I can't remember how I stumbled onto your blog but I love it! You have such fun ideas for your family. I'll most defiantly will be using some of them! I can't wait! :) Do you care if I add you to my blog page so I can check yours regularly?

Coleman Family said...

What a great idea! I definitely need to do this!!!

Unknown said...

Another great idea from you! I want a roll of this. Where can I pick some up?

Unknown said...

Just call your local newspaper and ask if they have any end rolls of newsprint.

Rebekah said...

I can't remember how I found your blog, but I just wanted to let you know I just LOVE reading about all of the fun things you do with your children. It gives me great ideas! I can never think of good FHE lessons, and I also like your blog for that reason too! This idea with the paper was too cute! I think I just might have to try it! Thanks.

Heather said...

I love this idea! We have moved around quite a bit and have a nice big stack of moving paper that we use for the same kind of things. There's something about drawing on big sheets of paper that kids just love. It's pure fun!

Julie said...

One of my greatest memories is all that we did with one of those big rolls. It never seemed to run out!