Sunday, October 4, 2009

Call from the Art Teacher

Last week I got a call from the Art Teacher at the kids’ school.  She told me that she wanted to talk to me about Nathan.  I thought oh no, who is he teasing now.  Then she proceeded to tell me that she had selected him from all of the art classes to receive the character award.

I guess there was “a boy” in his class that has a splint on his arm.  She had excused the class out to recess and “the boy” was still trying to clean up his work area but having a hard time because of his arm.  Nathan went over and helped without being asked, and was very friendly and nice to “the boy”.  I was so proud of him and excited that the teacher had called to share.

THEN, I talked to Nathan.  Apparently, “the boy” was Jeremy.  Jeremy is Nathan’s best friend in his class, who ALSO plays competitive soccer.  It all made sense then.  Why would Nathan go out to recess if Jeremy wasn’t out there.  He obviously had to help his friend so they could play soccer TOGETHER.  Oh well, I guess he still was nice, in a little selfish way.

1 comment:

T.Irwin said...

Friend or not, that was a very compassionate thing to do. AND it helped with the friendship. I imagine there are some kids who get excited to go out to recess and don't think twice about who is left in the classroom struggling with one thing or another.

After hearing yesterday's conference talks, specifically President Monson's relating to "have I done any good in the world today?" I think this is a perfect example of the answer "yes" to that question.