Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Reading to Ash

At the start of the summer I set up a little schedule of reading and workbooks after lunch. I went a step further and assigned each of the older kids a day to read to Ashley. Jacob is Monday, Nathan is Tuesday, Kaylee is Wednesday, Rebecca is Thursday and I am Friday. It has been so fun to see them sit and read out loud to Ashley during reading time. I have enjoyed watching them interact as they read and share favorite picture books that they enjoyed at her age. Plus, it has been nice for me to have that 30 minutes of free time. Sometimes I would sit and read my own book with them.

This summer we have taken our books outside to read on the trampoline, taken them on hikes with us and have read while eating special treats. We just really have enjoyed reading time and I’m sad that they will be in school next week reading there instead of here.

Anyway, back to why I started this post. Today Nathan was reading and giggling with Ashley. He turned to me and said, “I’m going to miss reading to Ash when school starts.” That made me smile because that means he has enjoyed reading to her!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I just found your blog and love it! The pictures of your son turned out fantastic. Thanks for sharing about your summer reading, too. What a great idea! Sounds like it really bonded the siblings.