Saturday, August 8, 2009

Painting

So I saw these cute little kits over at craftycrow and then remembered how my friend Becki had done a similar thing by the art museum.  SOOOO, I decided that would be a fun activity to do with my project loving kids this week. 

I went to the dollar store and got each one a set of brushes, squirt bottle and watercolor set.  Then I picked up some canvases so they would feel like they were professionals.  I had Becca get each kit ready in a zip-loc and off we headed to Palmer Park.  We love to go to the back side of the park and hike up.  I had each kid find their own solo spot and told them that they had to paint something in nature. 

Painting4

Painting3

Painting

Painting 5

Nathan did a fun painting.  He traced Oak leaves all over his canvas and then painted them different colors. They didn’t have time to finish so we need to go back to do it.  The kids informed me that these paintings HAVE to be finished up in the mountains and NOT at home.

Aug 2009 053

Paint2

We sure enjoyed the perfect weather, the quiet of nature, and the joy of creating.  Rebecca’s smile sums it up!

Aug 2009 033

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Shauna, I just thought I would tell you - I was watching the news yesterday and they had a painter from the art museum (or some place, I can't remember exactly). Anyway, he was saying that the best thing you can do for your kids to help them with art is to take them outside, to let them recreate what they see. Painting nature, in nature is great for their imagination and creativity. So, I immediately thought of you and and this little outing.