Sunday, July 18, 2010

Birthday Weekend

 This week was really hard for me and I sure didn't have a sympathetic sister to sympathize with me.  Stephen's grandfather passed away and he flew out for the funeral for a few days.  Then Jacob was gone all week at Emerald Lake for scout camp.  Here is one of the pictures that he took of the lake.

<KENOX S630  / Samsung S630>

Anyway, I was sad that I wasn't with Jacob on his birthday and sad to not have Stephen here.  He works from home and I just get so used to having him around.  Well, my sister Kristy's husband is in Afganistan for a YEAR.  And her oldest daughter has been with her biological father for OVER a MONTH now.  SOOO Kristy wasn't buying all my woes and sadness.  I did LOVE having Kristy and her kids with us though.

Friday was her daughter Karley's birthday.  She just learned to ride a bike this summer, so that morning Kristy and I woke her and Becca up at 6:00am and took the two of them for a bike ride on the Santa Fe trail.  We then took them and the other kids to see Despicable Me.  We LOVED it!

image

Then we all went to Red Robin for dinner to celebrate Karley's birthday.  She was loving the queen of the day treatment.

Birthday Rebecca asked if Karley was going to share her dessert.  I told her maybe if she gave Karley a kiss on the cheek she would.

Birthday2_edited-1

I do believe that Rebecca was the only one she shared her dessert with, probably afraid that Rebecca would kiss her again.  We did a little celebrating at home as well.

Birthday3

Kristy and I would stay up WAYYY too late laughing, talking, shopping and doing projects.  I'm just sad that she is gone now.  HOWEVER, Jacob and Stephen are now back.  We celebrated Jacob's birthday today.

Jacob is such a sweet boy with such a mellow personality.

Jake_edited-1

He is an incredible artist and avid reader.  Just to highlight what he enjoys - camping, basketball, swimming, drawing, nature and music.

Jake2_edited-8

Fox Run2_edited-2

I really can't believe that he is 13!  I don't believe that I am 13 years older since I had him! 

Kristy and Kaylee helped me make a little camping cake for his birthday.  It had a fire pit to roast marshmallows and even a pillow and sleeping bag in the tent!

Cake

We used pretzels, pop tarts, sugar cones, starbursts, marshmallows and chocolate rock candy for our masterpiece.  Then came the forest fire...

Jake4_edited-1

Anyway, Jacob we sure love you! 

8 comments:

Rachel S. Smith said...

Thanks for taking a break from your "woe is me blues" to see our family and share your talent! It was so fun to see you and the kids! We love you!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Okay, that cake is the bomb! And a trip to RR? I love their steak fries...

Rachel B. said...

What an awesome cake! My husband loves camping... I might have to take this idea and run with it for his next bday :) You've probably been asked this a million times, but what kind of camera do you use to take all of your blog photos with? They are so amazingly crystal clear - I feel like my pictures never come out as nicely!

Elise said...

A friend of mine sent me this link. I am planning a camping birthday party for my son's 8th birthday this October. LOVE this cake!!!!
Elise

T.Irwin said...

your photographic skills/talent has passed on to your family.

Sorry to hear about Stephen's grandfather. My condolences to him.

The cake for Jacob's birthday is adorable! very cute!

Jill said...

That is an adorable cake! I hope he appreciated all the work you put into it!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

I've got a new blog and your cake is my first feature! I'd love for you to stop by and grab a button! todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com