Thursday, April 30, 2009

Memorizing

So I’ve been thinking a lot about Sister Beck’s talk, and what I need to do to implement some of her ideas. As I was pondering on this, I came across President Charles W. Dahlquist’s talk at the Draper Temple Fireside. He was just released as the General YM President. He spoke on memorization and how he had his daughters memorize numerous poems growing up. ANYWAY, he said the following,


“What is the value of memorization? TO HELP US REMEMBER. To put the knowledge down in to the recesses of our souls, so that we can draw on it when we need it! PREPARE NOW, MEMORIZE NOW, STRENGTHEN NOW so that you are prepared when difficult situations arise.”


Isn’t that so true!!! This can apply to lessons learned in school, at church or at home. Think of all the tedious studying a doctor does during med school and how valuable it is when he needs to recall it. Think of how a scripture or hymn planted deep in our minds can provide an answer or help later on.


On my mission we had to memorize the discussions. The reason that we were instructed to do this was so that we would know the teaching and principle inside and out. I love the strength and security that I have from the scriptures that I have memorized.


I believe that songs and rhythm help us to memorize. I’m thankful for the Primary songs that teach doctrine to little minds without them even realizing it. I love the songs taught at school help the kids remember.


ANYWAY, back to what I implemented to put this into action. My kids are constantly reading the cereal boxes in a daze in the mornings. They are half awake and in slow motion. So I have a page in a sheet protector that I lay on the table every night after dinner has cleared. In the sheet protector in small lettering it has the quote from President Dahlquist on memorization, (so they will know WHY we are doing this), and then in bold large lettering I have a quote that I want them to memorize. In weeks to come I’m going to have them memorize poems, scriptures, quotes, you name it. I’m really excited about this because the kids have been excited. Of course it’s something new, but I’m determined to make it a habit to have them memorize things that are good.


SOOO, do any of YOU have any great quotes, poems, …. Let me know!



4 comments:

Becki Madsen said...

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
- Helen Keller

Miriam said...

Seminary Scripture Mastery - then they'll be one step ahead when they reach seminary. Also the Articles of Faith.
I love Robert Louis Stevenson's Poetry - he has great peoms for kids like "The Land of Story-Books" and "My Shadow".
"The Pasture", by Robert Frost is short and sweet.
Another idea would be to have the kids look through some poetry books and pick out ones that they like. When Bryce was little he memorized this one -

I Left My Head, by Lilian Moore

I left my head somewhere today.
Put it down for just a minute.
Under the table?
On a Chair?
Wish I were able to say where.
Everything I need is in it!

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

if you look up quotes from "the secret"...they have several of america's best quotes ever! i'm thinking of putting them in vinyl in my school room! such a great idea you had! we do memorization each week at the beginning of our school day...every week we find something new. the kiddos love it! a few months ago we even learned the apostles song that was circling on youtube...that was alot of fun for all of us :) they loved it when at conference they knew who they all were!

Cassie said...

I found a link to this post from someone else's blog and I just love this idea. It is defiantly going in my files for future use!