Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gardening with Plastic Knives

Look what is on my tomato plants!!! No it's not the big horned worm, I'm sure he will be coming later this summer. My tomatoes have blossoms. I took a picture extra close so that you could see them. I took the wall of water off just for a minute to show you the plant itself growing.
Now for the gardening tip of the week. It is Plastic Knives. You know how you get a package of mixed plasticware and use all of the spoons and forks, but never the knives. This is the perfect use for them. I use them as markers for my plants. You just write with a Sharpie on the handle and jam the knife into the ground. I even mark the colors on my mixed tulips and gladiolas in case I want to move them around after the plant has withered. I also mark the various vegetable seeds that I use. I may have two rows of peas of two different varieties, but like to know which performs better. Once again the plastic knives to my rescue. I learned this years ago when Grandma Jackie would have me come down and write on her knives and help her label in her greenhouse. You can see my knives here: http://mymixofsix.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouting-and-budding.html

No comments: