Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

Today was Earth Day. I couldn't send my kids to school to sit indoors and not enjoy our beautiful earth. SOOO we had a family field trip day and I took them to the zoo. The weather was perfect! We had a really fun day together. One of our favorite parts of the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo are the giraffes. I love this next series of photos.

First, Ashley finds an extra giraffe cracker just lying on the ground.

Then she shows her giraffe friend what she has.

Last but not least she has to taunt the giraffe to see how long his tongue really is. See Jerrica isn't the only one that Ashley teases.


Besides feeding the giarrfes, we also fed the birds. As you can see girls aren't the only ones attracted to my Jacob!

This peacock seemed to follow us the entire day, puffing and squawking. I had to laugh once again at Ashley. She kept yelling at it constantly, "Don't be such a mean cock!" The boys kept trying to get her to say peacock, but she had "cock" set in her mind!

Now that it's Spring there were quite a few new animals. I loved watching the orangutans swinging with their baby. Even the little giraffe walking around with his mother. The animal mothers didn't seem to have a care in the world. They weren't cleaning their house, doing projects, running errands, worrying about dinner - they were just playing with their babies. I need to learn from the animal kingdom I guess. I sure need to spend more time playing with my kids instead of getting caught up with the mundane schedule of life.

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a great way to spend Earth Day! I'm going to do this next year. (We spent this one inside and sick.) Some of my favorite memories were when my mom would let us miss school in "celebration" of AIDS awareness day, etc. (our school was a little too pushy with the whole homosexuality, sex ed with this day) It didn't happen often but it was a fun time together and a much better use of the day.