Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day May Day

Can you tell that I LOVE holidays!?! I just love any excuse for making a day different than the norm.

May Day 2

Today is May Day and has been a tradition for our family to deliver flowers to friends. We have taken the Steininger’s flowers on May Day for 10 years now. They were our adopted grandparents at our old house. One year I was pregnant or something and wasn’t going to take flowers. But you know how traditions work with kids involved, they don’t let you forget. Anyway, that year as we were standing on their doorstep with the flowers, Judith said, “I was just asking Bill if he thought you guys would come this year, and he told me ‘of course they will, they never forget us’. I about started crying right there because I really wasn’t going to do it. I guess there are more people than just the kids that remember our May Day tradition. Here is the picture of them today. Aren’t they a cute little couple!?!

May Day

As I was reminiscing about past May Day’s I remembered one year when Jacob and Makayla were only 4 or 5. Kristy had a mean old lady that lived a couple doors down from her duplex. We came to the doorstep and she yelled at us through the screen, “Go away from here”. I spoke up, “But we have flowers for you” She then retorted “I don’t want your flowers, get away from my house”. I told her that we would just leave them there on her doorstep. She quickly told us not to leave ANYTHING on her doorstop because it would just sit there and rot. So as we were walking away sad that she wouldn’t recognize our gesture, the kids said something to the effect, “Let’s find someone nice who likes nice things done for them.” I have learned that you HAVE to have a RECIEVER if you are going to be a GIVER!

We delivered a few bouquets today to wonderful recievers, and can I just say it felt GOOD!

2 comments:

T.Irwin said...

What a great tradition. I love the picture of that sweet couple. Love it.

My next door neighbors are hermits and after living in the house for 5 1/2 years, I still haven't met them face to face. Every Christmas and 4th of July (so twice a year) I take them a plate of goodies and they never answer their door. I can hear them shuffling around behind the door. (it always reminds me of my mission - people avoiding the door).
Anyway, I always just leave the plate on their door step and by the time I get back to my own door, they've opened their door and the plate of goodies is gone.
funny stuff!

Jennie Blaser said...

Fun tradition. My mom used to do that to all her neighbors when she was little. It was just another day for us.

Our stake has been asked to memorize the entire proclamation. We work on it a little at at time, but certain sentences are just great doctrine, so you could use some of those key sentences. We are only about half way through, and have to refresh quite often.

great idea!