Saturday, June 26, 2010

World Cup

image

I was sad to see team USA lose today to Ghana.  The interviews after the game always annoy me a little.  They just lose and the reporters are in their faces asking them what they thought about the game and why they think they didn't win ... Who would want to answer those questions when you are probably still upset for losing.

I feel that we have a privileged life here in America.

  • Kids here play with aired up new soccer balls
  • They have fancy colored cleats
  • Shin guards to protect them
  • Nice uniforms WITH warm-ups, even matching practice shirts
  • There are nets to kick goals in
  • Water bottles for quick drinks
  • We also have refs and coaches for games
  • Even something as simple as grass to play on.

I'm sure I have left out other luxuries that we enjoy.  While I was in Ecuador I saw many a soccer game where kids were playing in the dirt without shoes on.  Some of the balls they played with didn't even really resemble a ball.  Yet they were happy and would play for hours.  I remember once we gathered quite a few  little shoe shine boys together one afternoon in Quito.  We fed them lunch, taught them a welfare lesson and then organized a little soccer game in the back of the church's courtyard.  I will never forget their smiles and the fun we had that day. 

I don't think you need these expensive camps or clubs to be good at soccer.  It seems like there are quite a few third world countries advancing in the World Cup.  They are showing that money means nothing, its talent and passion for the game.  Maybe I need to send Nathan to the slums of Brazil instead of the soccer camp this summer.

I had to include this video.  AND as you can see you don't need the list I put together above to enjoy soccer.  It looks like they are doing just fine!

No comments: