Sunday, June 6, 2010

Moms Summer Camp

My cute friend Becki organized a group of moms to teach different classes for a summer camp.  You can see what we did last year HERE.  This year we did this
Summer2 Summer
The first day all the kids Tie Dyed T-shirts and had a little get together picnic.  Brooke made little gourmet lunches for all the moms, doesn't that sound like the Tongue in Cheek blogger!  Brooke then took on all the babies for the week so that their moms could teach.

My class was Animal Adventures.  We talked about animals, did animal crafts and projects, puppets, shrinky dinks, had animal tatoos and played some animal games.  I even had my animal loving friend, Kim, bring in some of her pets to talk about with the little kids groups.  With the older boys we painted wood snakes that move, played a glow in the dark snake game and then studied and checked out a real water snake.
Summer Camp
Summer Camp4
Summer Camp2Summer Camp8
Summer Camp3
Tara taught a class in the kitchen called "Fun with Fondant".  All of the kids were so proud of their masterpieces.  She had little cakes for all the older kids and then cupcakes for the little girls group.  They had so much fun choosing colors, rolling the fondant out and then decorating them.  Nathan made a soccer ball, but of course the girls cakes were frilly and girly.
Summer Camp10
Summer Camp5
Summer Camp9
Becki taught a "Crafty Construction" class.  She had fun wood projects, wind chimes, marshmallow building and even had little tape measures and carpenter pencils for the kids.
Summer Camp7
Melinda's class was "Games".  I loved seeing the sweaty kids come in from her group each day with a Gatorade in one hand and a huge smile on their faces.  Games were according to age as with the other classes.  There was football, duck duck goose, jump roping, marbles, rolling a hoop with a stick and who knows what else I'm missing.

Laura did a glass etching class.  She let them do their names on cute little jars and then filled them with bubble gum.  My kids now think that I need to keep their jars stocked with bubble gum.
Summer Camp6
Jamica did a "Rock and Roll Music" class.  The kids painted rocks while listening to music. 
Summer Camp11
I wish that I would have taken more pictures but it was too hard to teach and run around getting pictures.
We LOVED every minute of our little Moms Summer Camp.  It was great for each of my kids to be with other kids their own ages doing such fun projects together.  I'm grateful for all my sweet friends work in making it a success AND I'm grateful for little relationships that my kids are developing with my friends' kids!

4 comments:

Dana said...

I love this summer tradition you have. I read about it last year and was convinced that we could do something similar with my neighbors and friends. We are in the process of organizing a Friends Summer Camp for July. The kids are excited to do some fun classes with their friends and the moms are excited to teach and enjoy a little break from the everyday! I can't wait. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Unknown said...

Wow...what a great idea! I missed your posts while you were away, glad you are back. Guess I should learn from my own lesson and blog more :|

Jill said...

Wow! You inspire me to do more fun things with my kids. But how do you find time to do it all??? I love love LOVE the idea of Mom's summer camp. I'm going to have to try this next summer.

T.Irwin said...

Sounds like so much fun! (and a cheaper way to have a summer camp)

You can always use the etched jars for other types of projects, too. I had an inspiration jar for many years. I would collect inspirational sayings and then print up 365 of them for the year. Each day I would take one out and read it. I used to keep a daily journal and I still love to go back and read through those daily thoughts.