Thursday, June 24, 2010

Books

During free read I have assigned each of the older kids a day they have to read to the little girls.  I read to them on Friday, but the other days of the week it's total free time for me as everyone is reading and the little girls are getting read to.  It is good practice for the four older ones to read to the little girls and has been fun for them to hear their older siblings read and share their favorite picture books.

I still fit in a read aloud time that I read to ALL the kids.  In the summer you can read outside on a blanket or the trampoline.  I even think it would be fun to take on a hike and read up in the mountains.  We have been reading and loving this ...
image
We laugh and cry with Ida B.  She is such a character and kinda reminds me of my Ashley.  I have loved our conversations about Ida B. You can check it out more here Ida B: . . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World
.
I also recently finished this and don't know what took me so long to start it.  I have LOVED Shawni's blog for quite awhile now and her book is filled with so many inspiring secrets to help any mother. This is the link for her book  A Mother's Book of Secrets

image There are so many bits of advice and inspiration in Shawni's book.  There are so many parts that I have highlighted but I think I will share this quote that says,

"No matter how much I will want time to slow down and beg my kids to quit growing so darn fast, this time with young children will still slip away.  BUT the joy that I let myself feel while I'm in the moment with my kids will not fade with the years like the pictures and memories; it will become part of ME.  It will become part of my children."

Isn't that so true!  The moments that we share together are what makes us who we are and what develops our relationships.

Anyway our next book came from Trenya's suggestion.  It is the "Misadventures of Maude March".  I'm liking these books with girls as the main characters because we went thru a spell with books that had boy characters.  Oh how I have enjoyed the books that we have read together over the years.  I wish I had money to buy each one of my kids each of the books that we have enjoyed together so they have their own little library to leave home with.  Oh well, a family favorite list will have to do!

Anyone else have good read alouds that you have enjoyed???????

5 comments:

Rebecca Clerc said...

We have been reading, well actually listening to Peter and The Starcatchers. What a super fun series, about how Peter Pan becomes Peter Pan. The audio version is AWESOME!! We are currently on book 3.

A super fun and easy book to read is Roxaboxen, it sums up childhood so simply and makes you yearn for that same childhood of imagination for your own kids!!

Maria Babin said...

Shauna, I loved this post because I have been wanting to write about reading aloud as well. You just inspired me to do it today! So in response to your question....
http://busyasabeeinparis.blogspot.com/2010/06/books.html

Tia Hopper said...

Have you guys read The Girl who could fly by Victoria Forester? It has a girl as the main character as well and I thought it was really fun and cute. I will definitely read it to my girls when they are older. I am liking your suggestions though, keep them coming! I would love to hear your family favorite list.

angela said...

We have 3 girls (5 and younger). I think the reading aloud sounds really fun, but how do you handle your younger kids that don't have a long enough attention span? What do they do or how do you engage them in the activity.

Deb said...

What a great idea! I love the idea of giving each child their own copy of the book also. That would be an awesome Christmas treasure. Thanks for sharing this. I really love the Goose Girl and The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale.