Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sewing a Coupon Book for Dad

I am determined to teach my girls how to use a sewing machine before they leave my house.  We have done quite a few sewing projects.  When I was in Home Economics in high school I remember making perforated tags.  We took all the thread out of the machine and just sewed along lines.  Depending on how small you make your stitch determines how perforated or easy to tear your paper is.

Today I had the older girls help make a coupon book for Father's Day.  I wanted the book to be one that he can tear out the coupon to be redeemed.  (This way the girls could practice sewing a straight line)
Coupon
The older girls had all the kids volunteer two acts of service.  I always smile at the acts of service volunteered because it's usually things that the KIDS like.  We then printed them up and they stitched holes in the paper.  You MUST use card stock.  Regular copy paper is just too thin to do this.

Now all Steve has to do is tear out the coupon from the book and enjoy the service.  Here is a picture of the pages being assembled.  I don't have a picture of the finished book.
Coupon2
So basically this little project killed two birds with one stone.  It gave the girls a sewing lesson and provided a fun gift for Stephen for Father's Day.

Poor Stephen always ends up with his birthday and Father's Day right together.  I have a slight tendency to roll them both together because they are always only a day or two apart.  I'm excited about what I have up my sleeve for him this year.  Last year the kids and I got new clothes for Steve right down to the socks so we did this ...
Coupon3
Any other fun ideas out there that you are doing for Father's Day?

2 comments:

Rachel S. Smith said...

Total weird side note but I am impressed with how clean and manicured these sewing hands are! With all my boys I never get to see such nice looking, clean fingers on kids :). I love this idea! I am going to make it for Rick.

katherinemarie said...

This is so GREAT!!!! My kids would love to make a "dad"---- their dad is gone a lot with the army so maybe we will make a "sit in" for special holidays!!! :):) Thanks for the IDEA!!!! :):)