Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Percy Jackson Quest

OK this date has been in the works for quite some time.  We challenged Nathan to finish the Percy Jackson series and told him that we would take him and Jacob on a special date the opening weekend of the movie if he completed it.  He did finish reading it and yesterday was our big date.
In the book Percy goes on sort of a quest and trains in a Camp Half Blood.  SOOO we started out with a quest for the boys.  I had given them a list of activities they had to complete within an hour.  They both had to finish an activity before they could move on to the next, which was good because they would encourage and help each other.  It was fun seeing them running around and keeping check on my timer that I had brought.  I used the character pictures from the book web site for each card.
Quest2
I decided to do it at the YMCA because we could do so many different activities at one place.  They made 15 free throws a piece, climbed to the top of the climbing wall, hit the racquetball 15 consecutive times alternating with each other, ran laps on the track and swam two laps.  Yes they were probably exhausted by the time they sat down to see the movie.  They were quite excited that they did it under the time limit.
Quest
We had so much fun doing this!  I made a mental note that I need to do more activities like this. 
I took them on the quest and then Stephen came and took them on to the movie.
Percy-Jackson(1)
Of course I had to join them for dinner out.  Heaven for bid try and diet and just let them go out!
It was a fun day for my boys!

4 comments:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

What a FUN day for the boys!! This will be such a great memory for them!

Love,
Kris

Becki Madsen said...

Shauna that turned out so great! I bet you all had a blast-you good mom you!

Anonymous said...

Can you try to not be SUCH a FUN mom...I'm going to have to stop letting my kids see your blog...they are starting to covet! You have such great ideas! We saw the movie yesterday, I thought it was great!

Mom said...

You exhaust me! Sounds like fun!
I was thinking how fun it would be to name a kid one of these "word verification" words below!