Monday, February 22, 2010

Button FHE

I started out talking about the Olympics.  I asked each person what their favorite Olympic sports to watch were.  Next I asked them to imagine if there was only ONE sport that was in the Olympics. 

Then I brought out my button collection and poured them into a glass pan.
Buttons
I talked about the different sizes, colors, details and even number of holes on them.  I had four different pieces of clothing from various family members and talked about how certain buttons "fit" for certain articles of clothing.  I laid a sparkly pink button on Stephen sports jacket and talked about how the color, style and even size didn't work BUT how another big blue button was perfect.  I let the girls find the right color button for certain dresses and talked about how some need big strong buttons to hold things whereas others need dainty fun buttons to fancify a dress or shirt.

Then the kids went over to Stephen for his demo.  He had a bolt and a hand full of wrenches.  He let the kids pick a wrench and try to fit it on the bolt.  Of course there is ALWAYS only ONE size that will fit and turn the bolt.  It can't be too small or too big of a wrench.  Each is important for it's purpose and can only "fit" on certain bolts.
We then talked about where each of us "fit".  Jerrica fits in nursery, but we can't picture Dad "fitting" there in her class.  Jacob fits comfortably in his art class whereas Nathan might not feel as comfortable there.  It is fun that we each are unique and "fit" somewhere.  We each have a specific purpose with such varied talents to help us "fit" where we are needed. 

We ended the night with this quote that I had Kaylee write on our dry erase board.  The quote is from my favorite Dr. Suess.
Today You are You
That is Truer than True
There is No one Alive
Who is Youer than YOU!
LOVE that quote and LOVE how we are all unique and have specific places where we each "fit". 

2 comments:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I love your FHE ideas!

Maria Babin said...

You always have the most amazing ideas! How do you do it with 6 kids? You're amazing! But thanks for sharing in any case!