Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blog Book

I just received one of my blog books.  I say one because I have two volumes for this year, and the first one hasn't come yet but I can't wait to share...  (In fact theses pictures are terrible but I still just had to post them anyway because I was too excited.  I was having a VERY hard time trying to hold the book open to take pictures.  I grabbed something to help hold the page down but it wasn't heavy enough to hold the page from slipping, YET I kept trying to use it...)

Blurb

I have them printed on the premium paper.  The limit per book using premium paper is 160 pages, so that's exactly what I have in each of my blog books.  I choose the standard portrait books.  I feel that the bigger sized books just make it too easy to have pages torn because the page is larger and a little more awkward.  (Just my preference).  I also do the hardcover image wrap because dust covers just rip and fall off with all the looking at the books.  The image wrap is like a permanent dust cover.

I have my own system to keep continuity to the book.  I use stitching in between different posts on the same page.  I use the same font for all of the dates.  I try to keep a full page "favorite" picture every few pages.  I really like having the full page pictures to give your eye a chance to rest from all the posts and reading...

 Blurb2 Blurb3

Some pages have multiple posts.  When I first did a Blurb book and had them place all the posts I didn't like how a small post would use an entire page.  OR how some of my favorite pictures weren't given a big space.

 Blurb4 Blurb5 Blurb6 Blurb7

I really should've taken more pictures because these just don't do my book justice.  I needed a little helper to hold it open.

For my kids' books that I give them for Valentine's -(found HERE), I do all pictures with no text in the book except for the entry page.  I slurp their folder into a photo layout Blurb book and just arrange them in Blurb's layouts.  I also put full page pictures every few pages as well.  On the entry page is where I try to do a little write up about them for the year.

In the blog book I have this written on the copyright page ...

Blurb8

The cover page I put "Lived, Blogged, and Loved every moment!"

Anyway, just thought I would share with all of you.  I have had quite a few questions about Blurb, if this didn't answer it just email me again.

17 comments:

Janessa said...

Very nice! I'm working on my fourth annual family blog book (done through blurb also - love them!). I'm not quite as on the ball as you are, but seeing yours all finished is inspiring me to go work on mine. It is always so exciting when the finished product arrives! I've not used the premium paper before. What do you like about it and why do you choose it over the regular? I wish you could do more then the 160 pages per book with the premium paper, but it sounds like you think it's worth it. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for sharing your book! It looks fantastic!

Maria Babin said...

Can't wait to do mine now that my final 2010 post is finished! I did my first one last year and absolutely loved it! I usd Blurb as well!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I LOVE it! It turned out Awesome!!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

This is great... is it expensive?

Christy said...

A friend told me about this a while back and I have a book a year starting in 2006...love 'em.

Taking Time said...

gorgeous and such a great idea! thanks for sharing!

Mom said...

What a neat way to preserve all those memories/pictures!

Anonymous said...

Love It!!!

The Wilcken 7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teachinfourth said...

I just might have to check this out...it looks great!

emily said...

did you have blurb slurp your blog and then you edited the layouts? or did you copy and paste every. single. entry into the book??? (i love that my first question would make absolutely no sense to someone in 1990! typing the words "blurb slurp your blog" made me laugh!!) is booksmart super slow on your computer?? it is on mine, and it's already frustrating me!

you have inspired me to get going on starting my blog books. i have 6 years to do! one at a time!!

tren said...

How do you do that stitching and get it to let you put more than one blog post on a page? I am getting frustrated!

Heidi R said...

I am working on my first blog book and would love to make each of the kids their own book with photos of them. Do you slurp blog entries where their names or tagged or are their photo folders created outside your blogposts.
Love your site so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post! I've been wondering about the blog to book thing and it seems so much less time consuming than scrap booking. I will definitely be doing it with my 2011 posts.

By the way, I really enjoy reading your blog! I'm Annie Reed's sister-in-law and found a link to it from her blog a while back. I just thought I would comment instead of being a silent reader :)

Jill Reed

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

thank you so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Do you like the premium paper in matte or lustre?
Thanks!

Mitzi said...

Hi, I just came a cross your blog and I think you are awesome, anyways, I love all your pictures, would you please, please tell me what kind of camara do you use? any special lens?

Thanks so much.

Mitzi