Monday, January 24, 2011

Lesson from the Librarian

Story time at the library on Thursday mornings is part of our schedule.  Jerrica LOVES books and the library.  Last week during story time, the librarian was very interactive with the kids.  She started a story about a penguin called, "Straight to the Pole".  She asked the kids if they thought the penguin was going to the North Pole or the South Pole.  Ashley blurted out, "I don't think he wants to go to either, I think he wants to go to the SWIMMING POLE".  Of course all the adults laughed and the librarian went on to explain where the North Pole and South Pole were and what they were like.

I sat there analyzing how she was teaching and how many questions she was asking the children.  I know that lecturing is less effective when teaching.  You must ask questions to find out if your students are understanding you, and to have them reinforce to themselves what you are teaching by answering questions.  Actually, YOU, yourself can learn FROM your student as you discuss, because you are giving them an opportunity to teach.  Hands on is even more effective because they are actually doing rather than "hopefully" listening to your lecture.  There have been a lot of studies done on this concept.  The conclusions are that there is a "deeper understanding" when a discussion or hands on activity is done versus a lecture.

Library2

Well, Ash LOVED story time and kept talking about the theme the librarian taught.  She enjoyed it because she was allowed to participate both by answering questions and then by doing a simple flannel story. 

Library4 

As I drove home I started thinking about my parenting/teaching to my children.  I have a tendency to lecture sometimes, whereas I could step back and discuss, which would be more effective.  I need to learn from this librarian - ask more questions when I am teaching AND I need to make it a hands on learning experience when I can.  Lecturing can be "blah blah blah" as they start to daydream, it is discussing that enlightens understanding.

2 comments:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

this is a great reminder... I need to discuss more with my children.

Janessa said...

Wonderful reminder! I could deffinitely listen and discuss things more with my kids. I KNOW that's the better and more effictive method. I just forget sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!