Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crayon Rocks

We LOVED this project.  It was perfect for a variety of ages and was free to do.  You take rocks and bake them on a foil lined cookie sheet at 350 for 15 minutes.  Then you take your crayons and go to town on your rock.  The hot rock melts the crayon to it as you draw.
Crayon4
No paints or paintbrushes, yet you can get designs like this ...
Crayon2
Crayon3
The four year olds did the project too.  We warned them that the rocks were hot, but they never seemed to get burned.  They sat there forever color/painting their rocks.  I was just excited how the older ones got into it too.  Sometimes its hard to find projects for so many different ages.
Crayon5
The best part of these rocks is where we put them.  I had the kids put them in our garden to fancify it a bit.  The rocks may even keep the birds away.  I loved seeing each of the fun rocks as I was watering my garden tonight. 
Crayon
We are also LOVING having cousins here to do projects with!  We want you to move back Kristy!
TRY this project, YOU will LOVE it!!!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is so awesome! We are going to our family reunion this weekend, so I'm SO doing this with them. Thanks for being one of the most brilliant people I "know" ;)

foreveryoung said...

Thanks for sharing so many great ideas! I've been stalking your blog for a while now and had to drop by and say thanks for giving my kids so many fun projects to fill our summer! (PS-glad you survived the AZ heat, that's where we live)