Friday, February 26, 2010

Quick Subway Sign

My friend Amber started me out on this project.  Another creative friend had made one and sent us all the details, you can see hers HERE.  I didn't want to take all the time to do each letter.  (Lazy I know).  SOOO I had this brilliant idea to paint my board white, put vinyl on then spray paint all of it black.  Then when I took off the vinyl it would leave my white pretty lettering underneath.  Not quite as easy as I had pictured,  the spray paint adhered the vinyl so much so that I couldn't pick off the lettering without leaving deep marks in my wood. ----This was actually the project last week that was driving me crazyyyyy!!!!

Since that didn't work I was back to square one.  That's when I thought of dear ol' Costco.  You can print up a 20 x 30 poster size for only $8.99.  AND that is exactly what I did.  I played with fonts and words in photoshop.  Sent it over to Costco.  Took my print and modge podged it onto my boxed board.  I say boxed board because it looks like a canvas.  It's thin sheeting with a little frame around it in the back to give it diminsion.  I LOVE it!!!
My Sign2
It was really quick and easy to do.  It makes me want to do another big sign to hang somewhere else.  Thanks Erin for the idea!!!

14 comments:

jenifer said...

i LOVE this!!

Pam said...

I love it!! :) Dang Costco! I didn't know you were so cool!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

Shauna, this turned out way cute!!! I LOVE the different fonts and sayings!

Can I just order one from you??

Doug and Bethany said...

So cute! I've seen the subway sign done with Valentine's Day sayings, but I love it with your family rules. And of course, Costco is amazing.

Kalleen at Second Street said...

this is a subway sign I might actually have time to do. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Antonia said...

Great job! I think this one is my favorite by far.

T.Irwin said...

nicely done...and creatively executed :)

Rhonda said...

I love it. Easy..really?

honeysuckle said...

You are so smart to find an easy way to do this. Good job!

Malisa said...

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Shauna,
Yes I visited your blog and not only that commented. Love the sign now I have to think where I could put one so I can make one ;)
Alesha

Sarah Lou said...

oh taht is just perfectly magical!!!! looks a million dollars!

charity said...

argh, i am so sad your great idea to use vinyl didn't work, i guess i'll know not to suggest it to anyone else...so happy you did find a way to make that sign after all...turned out so cute...i'm wondering what i could do to make a similar sign through costco...

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

You are so creative. What a great idea. And it turned out so cute. Love it!

Thanks for linking it up to my party!!!

XOXO
Jen