Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Wood Worker

My dad LOVES to make things out of wood.  We have reaped MANY of his projects.  He made a tall Barbie house, a cradle, a marble game, this fun puzzle …

Woodworker

This year was no different!  My parents flew to Tennessee for Thanksgiving and stopped by here to drop off their Christmas presents.  They had the kids open them up so that they could see their expressions.  ANYWAY, let me show you what dad made THIS year.

A wooden trivet for hot pans.

Woodworker3

A collapsible easel for FHE or just when we need to hold a big picture up.

Woodworker4

Then my favorite is the little step stool.  My Grandma Jackie had one JUST like this one.  I remember the fun handle that you could grab to move it somewhere to reach something.  It is also the perfect little stool with such a cute back on it.  Little ones LOVE to sit on it.  My mom got Grandma Jackie’s when she passed on and then my dad made a pattern from the original and made one for each of us kids. 

Woodworker6

Woodworker2

The only problem with Dad’s wood projects is that they are left for us to finish with paint or stain.  I’m not complaining dad, just stating the facts!  It’s probably better that way so that we can do the colors we want.

He also brought up another project that I had him help me with.  I found this fun sidetable that I thought would be perfect with a lamp on top and then books and magazines underneath.  It had a place for a drawer, but the drawer was missing.  I asked dad if he could just put a piece of wood across the hole.  It is rounded, so I knew that it would need to be beveled.  Well, he brought it back, WITH a drawer.  He said that I might as well have a drawer than just a piece of wood across.  I’m excited to paint and finish it. 

Woodworker5

Thanks for all the wood projects.  I LOVE them Dad!!!

Don’t you just think that homemade presents mean sooo much more than store bought!!!

1 comment:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I agree with you Shauna! I love all the projects he has made for me. My kids are really into his marble game he made.