Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Afternoon Friend

Every day I hurry to get all the housework done so that I have a little time to work on projects in the afternoon when Jerrica is napping.  This has been my afternoon friend for a while now.

Dresser

I should’ve taken a picture before the sander started on him.  I had to use wood putty on little nicks.  I love that it’s solid wood with interlocking corners.  It seems like all the new dressers just don’t last as long as these good ol heavy wooden ones do.  I think every dresser in our house are OLD dressers that I have redone.

This one was a steal!  I took one of the kids to the ARC to find a costume for a school day and passed by this one for a mere $25.  I did a double take and thought about the new little girls room that I’m working on.  Of course I just couldn’t keep walking, I HAD to buy it at that price!

I LOVE the original knobs that were on him.  I took them off and spray painted them a pretty satin nickel color.  I also LOVE those little square drawers, won’t they be fun to put things in! 

You will have to stay tuned to see the finished project!

Another project that my older girls helped me do after school yesterday was this one.

Wreath The same day that I got the dresser I also went to the dollar store and bought some Christmas balls.  I had seen this easy DIY and CHEAP version of Pottery Barn’s wreath.  Pottery Barn’s wreath is $79 and this one cost me $7.  The girls hot glued the tops on the balls, and cut wire for me.  I just twisted a ball here and there in the greenery.  We had fun talking about Christmas as we made our new wreath.  Of course when we were finished I HAD to show the entire family the real version and price on Pottery Barn’s site. 

Stephen you better be proud of all the money I save you!!!!  (He always says that I don’t SAVE when I have actually SPENT)

7 comments:

lanisue said...

You are so talented. These projects look fun. Can you get te elf on a shelf book by itself?

Unknown said...

You can get the book by itself, but it is still a little costly. My sister is going to email HER version in HER words when she gets out her Christmas stuff and has her book to look at.

Heather said...

Beautiful! I just may have to copy your idea. I've been trying to find a way to update my Christmas wreath for my door.

Also, I loved your little elf you found. How did your sister make her own book and introduce it to her kids?

lanisue said...

would you be willing to share?

Unknown said...

Of Course!!! I can just forward her email on to you, Heather and Lanita!

Red said...

I'm definitely copying your wreath! I love it. I have had a wreath hanger for years but I need something to hang on it. Thanks! :)

T.Irwin said...

You're right...$25 is a steal. I purchased a really sturdy, nice wooden dresser from a roommate several years ago and I love it! (I also bought an old sturdy couch that is still in great condition).

I need to learn how to salvage old stuff, though. I love the dresser you have...it really is gorgeous!