Thursday, November 19, 2009

Colorful Tom Turkey FHE

We had this lesson for Family Night on Monday.  Rebecca actually read the story to us.  I love to hear her read with all of her expression.  Anyway, the story was “Colorful Tom Turkey” I remember my mom telling it when I was little.  In fact I think that the Turkeys ARE from mom.
FHE
The story is cute.  It is about a turkey that goes around the barnyard learning lessons from the other farm animals.  For example something happens and he turns green with envy.  Then the next day he is back to brown except for a new green feather in his tail to remind him not to be envious.  Then he sees a chicken stealing his food and turns red with rage.  Once again he wakes up brown again but has a red feather now along with the green.  Then he turns yellow because he is a coward and doesn't stand up to the pig.... That’s the gist of it!

Rebecca was in FULL teacher and “I’m in charge” mode.  After the story she had us all trace our hands on construction paper.  She is making a big turkey using all of our hands as his feathers.  I wanted to take a picture of him to post tonight, but he’s not quite done according to her.  At any rate, it was a fun lesson, unlike last week’s parable of the ten lepers fiasco.

2 comments:

Red said...

Shauna, I would love to see your copy of this story. My husband was in charge of Sharing Time on Sunday, so I looked up the story online, but the whole thing was about the turkey losing his temper. Your version sounds much cuter!

Unknown said...

My mom saw your comment and called me. She said that the original version WAS something like that, BUT that she disliked it SO she had written her own version. I will have one of my boys type up my mom's version and send you.