Monday, November 23, 2009

Turkey Shirts

Today the boys had a play date and the girls were home with me.  We couldn’t let the boys have fun as we worked around the house.  I asked the girls what they wanted to do and Kaylee said “Sew”.  I remembered this little project and thought that it would be perfect.  I let the older girls go down to the fabric box and pick a “Fall” print.  Then they traced each others hands on paper for a pattern.  Next was cutting the fabric and the Wonder Under.  After cutting came the ironing on to the T-shirt.

Turkey Shirt3_edited-1

I thought that I would machine stitch around each turkey just for good measure.  Sometimes Wonder Under decides that it will not stick on the edges after a few washes.  I let the girls each pick out a button out of the button box.  They both agreed on ones that had a little diamond in the middle.  It really was a fast, cheap and fun project. 

Turkey Shirt

As we finished them off I thought that the t-shirts will be out grown before I know it, BUT I can always cut their little turkey handprints out of the t-shirts and frame them for a Thanksgiving decoration.  I think it would be a two fold because it will also remind me of the sweet conversations we had as we made them.

Speaking of decorations, this Turkey is one of my favorites that I pull out each year.  It is a Turkey that Nathan had to make in Kindergarten.  He had to use various materials, including spices and fill it out.  It too reminds me of making it with him. 

Turkey Shirt2

Those Tootsie Rolls are over FIVE years old.  What is interesting is how you can STILL smell the pepper and cinnamon.  Oh Projects are too FUN!!!

1 comment:

Ryan M. Spillane said...

Their shirts turned out so cute!!