Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wicked Awesome

wicked_img

It was AWESOME!!!  Stephen and I went up to Denver last night and saw Wicked.  I was in love with the costumes, amazed by the sets, blown away by the music, and just LOVED the story line!

I also LOVED all the messages that were in the story line.  Wicked talks about the difference between surface appearances and what’s really going on underneath.  In the program it states that “There’s a green girl in all of us …Everyone has felt like the outcast at one time or another.  It’s how we handle being green.”

Another part with a little message is when the wizard came on stage hiding behind his loud scary chair face.  He then came around the side of it, and was so nice and soft spoken to the witches.  They questioned him why he appeared that way at first to which he responded, “Well that’s how the public wants to see me”  Don’t we sometimes do things because we think that’s what is expected of us to be like.

My favorite song was “Defying Gravity”.  I love a part in the lyrics that state:

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!


It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

I'm through accepting limits
'cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!


That is what I’m taking away from Wicked!  I am going “to try and defy gravity” and not let things pull me down! 

1 comment:

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

i can't imagine anything pulling you down shawna!!! so glad you got to see it...it's on our list of "somedays" :) love all of the music from it though :) and who couldn't love the story line? so clever!!!