Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Monarch Butterflies

For some reason Sanford is filled with monarch caterpillars on the milkweeds.  My mom is so good to help collect them for the kids to watch.  Once she even sent a box of them poked with holes to Utah for Alesha’s kids.  Anyway, this last weekend we brought ELEVEN of these little guys back.

Monarch

The kids have always taken a jar of them into their classrooms to share with their classes, and then we keep a jar here at home to watch the process.  Mom had a netting to cover the tops of the jars.  It is perfect for them to attach to.  On our drive home two made their cocoons.  Here is Kaylee holding them up for a quick picture.

Monarch3

I was thinking yesterday that it’s too bad that teenagers don’t go into cocoons as they are changing into adulthood.  That way, their gawkiness can be hidden and they would be very quite and still.

Anyway, I just love life and new growth.  I think that’s why I love gardening, baby animals and probably why I had SIX kids!!!

1 comment:

T.Irwin said...

I love the picture of the cocoons! great shot and a great idea.

It really is too bad that junior high (more so than high school) is a factory for perfectly healthy adjusted kids to enter and then come out messed up....I vote for cocoons, too.