Monday, June 29, 2009

Summer Concerts in the Park

band-instruments

Stephen took us one time for Family Home Evening and we have kept it a summer tradition.  We were supposed to meet Trenya’s family there tonight, but they had just gotten back from Utah yesterday.  We missed you!!!

Anyway, we LOVE the concerts!  The kids climb up on the big rocks right there and actually sit and listen.  Well, there might be a little climbing up and down on the big rocks.  There are soo many instruments to watch and listen to.  I love how energetic the conductor is and how much each of the musicians enjoy playing.  Stephen and I were getting a kick out of one of the percussionists tonight (and no it’s not the guy from our church)

Concert3

A lot of older people come out to these.  Rebecca leaned over and asked me if they come because it’s “old” music that they play.  Just then they played the theme song from “Pirates of the Caribbean” and all of my kids’ faces lit up.  They did an incredible job with it. 

We make the kids sit and listen during the first half and then they can play at the park, which is right next to the concert pavillion, during the second half. Well, we were pleasantly surprised to see that the park has changed.  They had a lot of cool equipment.

Concert2 

Concert

The next thing is some sort of teeter totter that moves up and down.

Concert4

Concert5

As we were leaving they announced and played a John Philip Sousa march.  Kaylee turned to me and said, “you like this one, don’t you mom?”  I was like Yes, how did you know.  She then told me that she remembered them playing it last time and how I commented on it  It’s exciting to me how kids learn and absorb without even realizing it.  I hope that every time Kaylee hears John Philip Sousa she will remember the fun that we had at our Summer Concerts.

6 comments:

Becki Madsen said...

Can you tell me where to go to get any information on these concerts? You are such a good mom and totally instill the love of crafts and culture into your kids! Thanks for your example my friend!

Berly said...

I want to know the same thing as th person who commented above me. I love outdoor concerts and my girls would love it.

Unknown said...

I sent the link to both of your emails with their schedules and locations. The concerts are awesome and FREE!

Becky Wilcox said...

I too would love to know where these are held. What a great family time! Where is that park in your pictures? Thanks!

Julie said...

Yes, where's the link? These would be fun to go to.

Unknown said...

Just go to www.mykidsweek.com and click on the events folder and then concert series. We enjoy the Manitou Springs concerts with the Little London Orchestra. They are amazing. The pictures of the playground in the post are from the concert there in Manitou.