Friday, June 5, 2009

Paint Mines

The Madsen’s and Thompson’s took a little field trip to the paint mines today.  I am always amazed at the beauty of the formations and colors of the rocks.  The kids always enjoy the climbing and exploring.

Before I share photos of the day I wanted to add a few interesting facts about the paint mines that I got off the Colorado Hiker website.

Paint Mines holds numerous treasures, human and natural alike.  Human history in the park can be traced back 9,000 years.  Native Americans used the colorful clays for pottery and ceremonial paints.

The natural geological features are mind-boggling.  Hoodoos have been shaped by millions of years of clay deposits and subsequent erosion from both wind and water.

Here is the fun-

Paint Mines3Paint MinesPaint Mines5Paint Mines2Paint Mines4Paint Mines6Paint Mines7

That was a fun Friday field trip!  Thanks Madsen’s! 

1 comment:

Becki Madsen said...

That was super fun Shauna-thanks again and I am happy to say my little kids took great naps because of it!