Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Very OWN Strawberry Jam

I’m very excited about this-

We have had an incredible amount of strawberries this year.  Even with Jerrica plopping down in the middle of the patch and forging for herself, we are still bringing in bowl fulls each day.  We like to pick them just before they are really dark red and let them ripen inside.  It seems like 24 hours after we bring them in they are perfectly ripe. 

Well I made my very own batch of strawberry jam with my OWN strawberries.  Lorinda came over a few months ago and we tried out the Ball pectin and I have made a few batches since.  The Ball pectin is kind of similar to the MC brand but uses less sugar, cheaper, and is totally the easiest ever!

June 2009 451

2 pint jars of my very own strawberry jam.  Isn’t it just beautiful!

Garden3

We have also had a ton of spinach.  You have to constantly pick it so that it doesn’t go to seed, and so that it will produce more.  I add leaves into our green salads and have made quite a few strawberry spinach salads.  And yes you guessed right, I used my own strawberries once again.  I just love walking out to my garden and having FOOD! 

I have my eye on this little beauty right here:

Garden

This will be our first year to have peaches from our tree.  Our apple trees are loaded as well,  I’m excited for Fall to make fruit leather out of them.  I might make a pie or two while I’m at it.  At any rate I am just so thrilled that I have fresh produce to can, cook with and especially to EAT!!

2 comments:

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

it looks too good to eat! so jealous that you have fruit! i'm still waiting on everything but my spinach and i didn't ever hear you had to pick it before it went to seed...so now i have alot of spinach seeds :) we did get to enjoy it twice first though. beautiful fruits!!!

Berly said...

I want to come see your garden. Looks so YUMMY!!! I might have to try spinach next year.