Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Great Sand Dunes

Sand Dunes

We went down to the Sand Dunes this weekend.  The kids love all the sand and the waves in the water.

Sand Dunes6

Sand Dunes4

Sand Dunes2

Sand Dunes5

Jacob made a little trap.  He dug a tunnel back and up.  Then he covered it with little twigs.  Next he caked sand over the twigs.  Later, as he was sledding down the dunes he caught something!  I stayed back in our cove with the two little girls as the older ones were sledding.  Next thing I know Jerrica is crying.  She was trying to walk over to me and had fallen and gotten one of her legs stuck in Jacob’s trap.  Jacob had caught a Jerrica!

Sand Dunes3

Ashley trying to body surf.  The kids and Stephen loved having races against the current.  It would make the Kaylee and Rebecca dizzy and they would usually crash into the water.

Sand Dunes7jpg

The Sand Dunes are just so incredibly enormous.  As a kid I always enjoyed the challenge of finding the tallest peak and hiking up it with cousins or friends.  Now I don’t mind just sitting back and watching the kids play and others hike the dunes!

6 comments:

Becki Madsen said...

Ok. can your parents adopt me? What a fun place they have! Glad you had a blast!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I am glad you guys made a trip down there. The sand dunes are always fun when there is water.

Anna Linnea said...

Where is that, It looks so fun?!

Unknown said...

It's a National Park that is 2 1/2 hours south of here. It's really close to my parents house, that's we go as much as we do. They do have a camping area and then there is a gorgeous waterfall hike right there. It is just amazing to me how much sand there is! It takes hours to hike to the tallest dunes.

T.Irwin said...

I love the picture of the boys racing! Fantastic!

Miriam said...

Shauna, I'm a little slow to respond to your posts. Your blogs of Sanford and Alamosa have triggered many, many memories. I took the kids to the dunes when I went back to visit Grandpa before he passed away. On that visit we stayed with your parents, the kids loved playing in your parents' backyard.
Sunday evening I got to visit with a young man who just returned from serving a mission in Colorado. As I understand it he spent his last several months serving in Alamosa, and Sanford. He asked me if I was related to the Crowthers, because everyone was related to the Crowthers or the Mortensens. I told him that I have cousins from both families.
He sure loved serving in that area, and said that the people were wonderful and very generous.