Monday, November 16, 2009

Elf on a Shelf

Have you heard of this book?  My sister told me about it a few years ago.  I LOVED the cute idea and went to buy it, until I saw the price tag of $35 for the elf and book.  To me that was a little too much, and I didn’t necessarily find the elf that cute.  SOOOO I have tried to find my own elf, to no avail…  UNTIL this year!  I ran into Michaels to get a gift for Ashley’s birthday and found EXACTLY what I had been looking for.  I had a 50 % off coupon which made him $8, now that I can do. 

My sister told me that the story is about the elves and how they watch children to report back to Santa.  I can remember MY mom using the “Elves are watching” MANY times on me during the month of December.  It also talks about how we should watch our actions because we never know who is watching, but someone ALWAYS is!!!  The elf is then hidden each night somewhere in the house.  The next day everyone keeps their eyes open for the hidden elf, to see where he is watching from.  When he is found, he is returned to “the shelf” until he hides again that night.

I thought that this would be so fun for my little ones to look forward to each day as they search for our elf.  I think it will even be fun to have my older ones hide him.  Today Ash helped me hide him in different places to take pictures.  See what you think of our little friend…

Elf

Elf3

Elf2

Elf4

Isn’t he cute!?!?  I’m excited for December for this hiding and seeking.  Hopefully the kids will have fun with it, AND be extra good for the month!!!

7 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

Oh my that elf is just adorable. I love, love the idea. Hmmm, I might just have to take a trip to Michaels-um NOW!

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

man...now i have to go too! such a great idea! that is by far the cutest elf i've ever seen!

Becky Wilcox said...

I LOVE this elf!! I have wanted to do this for the past couple years, but like you, I did not want to spend that much and the elf was not cute at all. I am heading to Micheals tomorrow! I can't wait to do this in our new house!

tren said...

I love that elf! He is SO cute!

Maria Babin said...

What a great idea Shauna. You have such a amazing and cute ideas. Your children are so blessed to have such a fun mommy! Wow! I'm so impressed!

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

my mom came into town and was talking about this story and how they couldn't find a cute enough elf! i quickly remembered that you picked yours up at michel's so she was thrilled! we ran around town all day and found some little elfs in a little shop here in our tiny town. she had to pick up 12 of them but she thought it was genius and wanted to be sure i thanked you for your genius ;)

Ryan M. Spillane said...

We love this elf!!! Thank you for thinking of us!