Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Little Sweat Shop

I went over to Becki’s the other afternoon and she had her kids sewing these pillows out of bandanas.  I remember last year how she taught all of her older kids to sew PJ pants.  Her kids were so excited about their project and didn’t even realize that they were learning very important skills at the same time.

So guess what Shauna did a few days later?  You are right!  I copied Becki and gave my kids a little sewing lesson. 

We first went to Hobby Lobby and I let the kids each pick out their own bandana from the plethora there.  Then we came home and I set up a little sweat shop in our living room.

I first made them press their bandanas.  They probably didn’t need to do this step but I thought that it was good practice for them to iron.

June 2009 482

Then I made them fold their bandana in half and pin the three open sides.  Once again not a necessary step, but good practice.  After the pinning, we started sewing on the machine.  That is always fun with the “gas pedal”.

Pillows2

June 2009 481

Then the stuffing came next.  I LOVE the “Cluster Fill”!  It is sooo soft and comes in little clusters so that it doesn’t all bunch together.  We had a lot of fun playing with that as can be seen on Ashley’s face and Becca’s skirt.

Pillows

Pillows3

We sewed up the open end and tried our new travel pillows out.  I was excited at how excited the kids were.  Kaylee was sweet and made Jerrica’s for her after she finished her own.  She has had a couple of sewing classes at Joann’s and really enjoys sewing. 

Anyway, thanks for the fun idea Becki!  Now on to the bandana quilt!

1 comment:

Becki Madsen said...

Such cute pictures and their pillows turned out so cute! I love simple, fun crafts!