Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kaylee’s Room

I need advice.  We have been doing a little room changing.  I fell in love with a Pottery Barn quilt, but didn’t want to spend the $250, so I settled for this quilt from Target.  Kaylee loved it.  We then bought some throw pillows and a body pillow to add different textures and colors.

Kaylee's Room I made the bed skirt to match the quilt and throw pillows.  Her chair on the left side there by her built in desk, I painted black and then the right hand side has a black nightstand with a mustard color drawer pull.  We did a fun wall that faces the bed filled with the mustard color, teal, and white picture frames, mirror, clock….  It is all coming together, BUT the curtains!  The curtains are making me insane.  I sewed the the ruffled white ones to bring more texture, but now feel I need to paint the Kaylee letters.  Or should I just do some corduroy mustard panels.  She has a big window on the right side which would be predominately the curtains and lavendar wall.  I don’t know if mustard and lavendar would look good together by themselves.  Yet, the white ruffles ones might be too much white in the room.  I don’t know what to do, and sometimes people from the outside that haven’t been looking at this have a better perspective.  I would love your opinions!  I want to be done with this room and move on!  :)

12 comments:

Juf said...

What about painting just the A a nice fun coordinating color to pull it together?
I personally have to hang something up and look at it for a little while before I decide if I like it or not. Can you hang up a bit of mustard fabric to help you decide?
One more thought: you can upload your picture to a site like Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams and then paint your curtains with one of their colors to give you an idea of what it would look like. That helped me decide what colors to redo my living room.
-Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Since the room is painted and has lots of color in it, I think the white wouldn't be too overwhelming.

Beth

Katie said...

I think you should leave the curtains. They look great as is. The eye still needs a place to rest.

One idea is to add one of the patterns from the quilt on the letters. Not sure if you should do all letters in pattern or just every other letter. It could be too busy with all the letters. I like using a b/w or mustard pattern.

Maybe get some ribbon to hang the letters with.
I would do a mustard ribbon or a black and white ribbon. Try to get a ribbon that matches the black and white or mustard square pattern from the quilt.

Or one last thought, a frame around the letters. You could do an empty frame. The frame in mustard or black. Or put a matching fabric behind the frame with the letters on top.

PS This is my first time commenting on your blog.
I love seeing all the fun things you do for your kids and family. You are an inspiring mother.

Maria Babin said...

Yay! Paint the letters a chevron print in mustard yellow to tie in with the awesome quilt!

jenifer said...

Just spray the name black. Easy and cute.
Love the fun quilt!

Nicole S said...

How about painting the window trim mustard or teal? Check out this link: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nfHKLADm71g/TphG8HklIYI/AAAAAAAANZo/EUAIw99lOCY/s1600/katie%2Bridder%2Bbook%2Bhome%2Boffice%2Bcococozy%2Bgreen%2Btrimmed%2Bwindows.jpg.

I also like the idea of painting the letters black, maybe embellish them with painted or silk white flowers to match the "pansies" on the quilt.

Really cute room... Good luck!

[Stacia] said...

I love the white curtains and the white letters! Maybe you could just add one colored ruffle to the curtains to seperate it a little from the letters?

The Hammond Family Blog said...

I was thinking black name too. But I simplify a lot!!!

Unknown said...

I agree with some of the other suggestions to paint the letters black. Love the white curtains! Great color scheme.

Doug and Bethany said...

I love the curtains! Leave them! I think the letters would be cute painted mustard!

Anonymous said...

I mod podged scrapbook paper onto the letters of my daughter's name. Hers had been white, also, and I thought they needed more color against a salmon-colored wall. Scrapbook paper was a great way to get lots of different patterns/colors without a lot of work, and for cheap! You could find scrapbook pages with the colors of Kaylee's quilt in stripes/polka dots/chevron, maybe do a solid or two, or a subtle pattern and, voila! And I do like the curtains as-is. :) Jen

GreenGirl said...

I personally like it the way it is.. what did you decide to do?