Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grandma Letters


This week each of the kids recieved a letter from Grandma Charla. They were thrilled as always to get mail. I know that we live in a day of email and texts, but I still LOVE those hand written notes. I'm saving each of their letters in their family history boxes so that they can have Grandma Charla's personal note to them in her writing. I've kept some from Grandpa and Grandma Thompson as well.

A couple of years ago for FHE I had each of the kids fill in the blanks to a form letter. Next I let them each pick a different grandparent to mail their letter to. We stuck their letter along with a blank form letter to each of their grandparents and great grandparents (I even stuck a stamped self addressed envelope in each one to help the process). We were so surprised to get all four grandparents letters back along with the four great-grandparents. We would get so excited as each one would arrive and we would read it. It was fun to see what we had in common with each of them. Three of the grandma's put strawberries and cream for their favorite snack. Some had the same favorite hobbies as our kids have. One question I had on there was to write a favorite memory about your parents. Grandma Brenda had written about how she "loved watching her parents dance together and loved to participate with them in dance festivals." Grandma Jackie had written on her question of what was a difficult challenge you faced and how did you overcome it, with "I was always tall and skinny, so I became a good cook as I aged and now I am short and plump!" It was so fun reading these letters with their personalities throughout them. Now that a couple of them have passed on, I'm so glad that we have their treasured letters!!!

1 comment:

Valerie McCauley said...

Do you still have a copy of the letter document. I would love to see what sorts of questions you asked.