Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break Art Day

So I took Alesha's idea and hid the kids day's agenda in a cereal box.

Little did I know the day wouldn't flow as smoothly as the agenda had outlined. I first took the kids to an 8:30 orthodontist appointment for Jacob and Kaylee. (What a fun way to start out Spring Break!!!) Then we headed over to Bemis. The kids were excited and some of them were reminiscing about classes that they had taken there. Well, we go in and I find out that I have the date wrong. The family adventure demonstration and hands on projects had already taken place. AUGGGG!!!

So we load up in the van as some of the kids start freaking out about what we are going to do because it's supposed to be art day. Can I just say I hate when things don't flow smoothly!!! I did have a project for them at home and stopped at Michaels to pick up another.

We used the fun Crayola crayons from the birthday party to make T-shirts. It's fun because the older and younger kids can do the project. Ashley scribbled away as Jacob took his time on his cartoon.
The next project I had seen in Family Fun last year. They had made mosaic collage frames for mirrors. I thought it would be fun to put items around a frame (Michaels $1) and then put a picture of the kids in their frame to capture their age. I made all the kids scour the basement and junk drawer for little treasures that represent them. The boys had legos, kinex, army men, mini dragon...It was fun to see what everyone came up with. I'm mad that I didn't take a picture of the boys frames, but I'm way to tired to go round them up and take a picture. I will have to post it later. Anyway, as they would bring some trinkets to put in their pile, I would frown thinking that they probably shouldn't use it, but then would think again that it is one less little thing to pick up.

The art day ended with a mosaic tile tournament of Blokus. I had to post a picture for Angie. This is such a fun game for a lot of different age groups. Stephen and I have even had fun playing it with other couples.

Looking around now at the house I think I should have made the agenda a Spring Cleaning Day instead of Art Day. I let the boys go off for a play date with two brothers late this afternoon and should have made them do their chores first. I just HATE when I get behind on the house, and if I'm not constantly cleaning I seem to get behind, especially due to my little string out everything Ashley and Jerrica.

No comments: